function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
jeremy_wjeremy_w 

cannot give cust portal users different case view if case view is overriden with VisualForce page

I'm building a customer portal onto our existing salesforce. 

I've a visualforce page that overrides the case view page (cases>buttons and links) that was built for internal use.

I've added a new case page for portal users and assigned it to the portal users in the page layouts area (cases>page layouts).

I need to give the portal users a different case view page for obvious reasons but cannot find a way to do this.

I spoke with support and they suggested the discussion boards....

Is this possible? It seems that the "buttons and links" is conflicts with "page layouts".

Thanks

Jeremy

shillyershillyer

Hi Jeremy,

I see your predicament. Overriding the View button appears to supersede the page layout assignment. Instead of overriding the View button, can you add a Visualforce page to your internal page layout?

This way you still have 2 unique page layouts for each profile, but you include your Visualforce enhancements.

Hope that helps,

Sati

jeremy_wjeremy_w

Thanks Sati.

I suppose that may be the only way.

But I've tried an alternative: 

remove the VF override; set up two pages - one for internal users, one for portal users; in the internal users page add in an s-control to do a javascript redirect immediately to the VF page. Obviously there's a short delay but I though it would work. It does not. Although the redirect ends up with the exact same URL as the original method (ie the VF page name and the Id parameter) I get page errors on relationships.

The VF page is not complicated and is actually just converting the case page into a tabbed case page.

Any ideas?

I thought of another way but have not tried it: override the case view page with a VF page that redirects to either the other VF page or to the regular portal users page. Not sure if this is easy to do?

Thanks

Jeremy