function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
lee_carter73lee_carter73 

Custom Object that Functions like a Case

I built a custom object that is going to basically be clone or very similar to cases.  It is related to the account and i want the ability to close out just like a case.  I am attempting to create a custom button for close that brings you to a different page layout where you would put in the resolution etc.  then the status would be changed to close.  Once the object is closed that would be the default page layout people see when they go to that particular record. 

Anyone have any suggestions on the java script i would need to do this?  I am sure it is fairly simple as it is done on cases.  Thanks in advance for the help.

werewolfwerewolf
I hate to state the obvious, but why didn't you just use Case?
lee_carter73lee_carter73

By me saying just a clone i meant the functionality of this button not the whole object.  Without going into too much detail the requirements brought forth by the company prompted me to go this direction.   Maybe its the wrong way.

jpizzalajpizzala

I agree with Werewolf.  If you are going through all of the trouble trying to recreate all of the default Case functionality, just use Cases.  If you are looking to have types of Cases behave slightly different (which your new custom object could possibly solve), you should look into Record Types for the Case object.

Can you fill us in as to why you chose the custom object vs. standard Case?

werewolfwerewolf
To your original question, anyway, the easiest option is to make a Visualforce page with a standardController of your custom object, and then make your custom button point to that Visualforce page.
lee_carter73lee_carter73

Now that i think of it may just be easier to use record types to do it.  Not sure the differences between a custom object and just using the cases is compelling enough with all the work that needs to be done to make it work.  Thanks for the input.