function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
JLAW17JLAW17 

Seeking a chart of useful URI's

Hi,

I'm new to the salesforce.com development thing, and I've been playing around with S-controls and finding them very useful for accomplishing many things, but I'm wondering this...

Is there a description of the various actions that one wants to perform from a URI call and how to code them.  For example, I know that a call to na1.salesforce.com/500/.... will cause the creation of a case for the contact or lead whose info appears after the 500/, but where would I look to see a comprehensive list of what can be accomplished how?  Is there a chart/table somewhere?

For instance I want to convert leads to contacts and populate certain fields with form data, etc.

Thank you.

John
SuperfellSuperfell
The approved way to work with your salesforce.com data is via the API, not by munging URLs to the web application.

Using the describeSObject call you can discover a number of useful URLs for the webapp, include the edit / detail / new page URLs for the specified object type.

Message Edited by SimonF on 01-16-2007 08:14 PM

JLAW17JLAW17
Simon,

While I can appreciate that point of view, it does not seem to be shared by Chris Sommers, Senior Sales Engineer, as he has published an entire document on the beauties of making S-controls with calls back to salesforce in the manner I have described, and he has placed it rather prominently on the salesforce.com website.  My only embarassment, albeit slight, is over the document's name, "S-Controls for dummies."

Given that it has been encouraged by one of your own, I believe it to be a reasonably elegant way to integrate my applications with yours without more than doubling my cost per seat.  In the long haul I might be open to purchasing an edition that includes use of the API, particularly if I get my business (quite in its infancy) "hooked" on salesforce by continuing to integrate it into our everyday practices.  At that point I can imagine this method of munging things onto the URL will eventually prove insufficient to suit my needs.

Chris actually states in his video that "soon there will be command names" to place in the URL calls (I think he said with the winter release), seeming to indicate that salesforce.com is, if not in outright support of this method, certainly out to make it easier for developers to use.

So until I have access to the API, I would still love any insights that you (or anyone else) could provide into munging, as it were.
JLAW17JLAW17
Simon,

Sorry if that all sounds flippant.  I'm really not trying to do anything bandito here, just trying to take advantage of the functionality that I honestly figured was intended for my use.  There are about five examples of these types of calls in the document that I referred to, and I followed Chris's instructions to paste them into my S-controls to test them, and they worked.  So if I've somehow discovered a big loop-hole in the Professional Edition, that was not my intention.

I simply want to click a button from a lead, say, spawn a form in a new window, which I've managed to do brilliantly, and then submit that get-method form as Chris described and have the data go into my lead record (or possibly into the contact record after converting the lead). For what I want to do, it's actually a perfectly elegant solution.  Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
John