function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
SantDevTeamSantDevTeam 

How to test client ID

Hi,

I'm developing an application that will be used against SF Professional as well as Enterprise/Unlimited. I've got my client ID but was wondering how I can test that it actually is working and that it makes a difference for when I access data through Web Services?!

Thanks,
Andy.

werewolfwerewolf
You can use the Force.com Explorer and set the client ID in Tools->Options there, and then try logging into a PE org.
SantDevTeamSantDevTeam
Thanks for the reply. I found the explorer (very useful!), but I'm not sure that helps me because I don't have a PE org to test against! That is my "problem":) I need to be able to emulate that in force.com some how (well, I think that's what I need to do!).

Thanks,
Andy.
werewolfwerewolf
Good question.  I'm not really sure.  If I were you the first thing I'd do is try to sign up for a trial PE org; that might just work.  Failing that you may be able to get an assist from AppExchange Developer Support.  It seems like a reasonable request.
SuperfellSuperfell
You can tell if you clientId is getting though correctly by checking the entry in login history.
werewolfwerewolf
This is true, but in my experience you still want to test your code in a PE environment to make sure that you didn't mistakenly make any calls that are missing the client ID.  I guess there's just no substitute for the real thing.
SantDevTeamSantDevTeam

Exactly! I know my code works with Enterprise (we use SD ourselves internally, so I can test that real-world), but I still want to try connecting to PE and have it fail because I don't use the ID and then use it to make sure it works.

The only way, it sounds like, to test it correctly is to either sign up for PE trial or to get a customer of ours who uses PE and use their credentials:)

Thanks,

Andy.

Message Edited by SantDevTeam on 10-17-2008 03:01 PM
michaelforcemichaelforce
I logged a case with salesforce requesting access to a PE org for this purpose... they recommended signing up for a 30 day free trial.  I put "Need PE Org to Test App" as my company to make sure the salesforce lead reps know that I'm not a "prospect".  The org is indeed PE... so I have to make sure I test it in the next 30 days :smileyhappy:.