function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
appmakrappmakr 

brand new to sales force dev and doing research

i've been asked to build an iphone application for a construction franchise.  one of the buttons in the app is suppose to bring up the groups salesforce.com instance.

What is the best way to accomplish this?

use a web service api and rebuild all the fields necessary?

just launch a web view to a site like http://m.salesforce.com (that doesn't seem to exist)

use an iPhone / Salesforce SDK? (i could not find anything here)

Thanks in advance as salesforce is new to me...

Scott

bbradybbrady

There is a Salesforce iPhone client on iTunes. It will enable access to your company's Salesforce org with zero custom development (you'll have to use 'Setup>Administration Setup>Mobile Administration' to configure access) but it works right out of "the box". I believe there is a $15/month charge to use an iPhone client in your production org, but its free to use in your developer org. 

There is no Salesforce/iPhone SDK that I'm aware of but there are AppExchange apps (search for iPhone) that are free (and unsupported) that provide a useful starting point for adding additional functionality to the SFDC iPhone client (think webapps). Basically you create Visualforce pages (using a CSS tailored to the device), make them "moblie ready" and they'll appear in the SFDC iPhone client. We've had some success using the Image Browser & Capture for iPhone and BlackBerry as a starting point. We used it because it has a JS library that will pull the GPS coordinates off the iPhone.

Good luck!

appmakrappmakr

Does the native iPhone salesforce application expose a "URL Scheme" see: 

http://developer.apple.com/iphone/library/featuredarticles/iPhoneURLScheme_Reference/Introduction/Introduction.html

that would allow me to call this app from my native application?

bbradybbrady
I don't think so, but I hope I'm wrong.
DanielJimenezDanielJimenez
Okay, so I've figured out that "force://" works with the SalesForce iPhone app. It doesn't seem to accept an id though, I was really hoping I could do something like "force://001R000000acqCP" in my email notificiations, however the app always opens up to the search window :(.