function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
sfdeveloper9sfdeveloper9 

sharing settings on contact object

I have requirement where account and contact records created by a User in group A should be visible to all users in Group A and records created by any user in group B should be visible to all users in group B.

I changed the org wide defaults in sharing settings to Private for account and left the contact to Controlled by Parent.

Under sharing settings for accoutns and contacts I have 

Group A share with Group A  Read/Write

Group A share with Group A  Read/Write

with the above settings I have Accounts records working as expected, but contact records created by any user are visible to both the groups.

any idea on what I have missed. Thanks in advance

PK

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
sfdeveloper9sfdeveloper9

I had Modify All option checked Contacts for all the Profiles, which will overwrite sharing settings. unchecking that option solved the issue.

all, Thank you for your responses.

PK

All Answers

MohitMMohitM

In salesforce.com accounts have parent child relationship with Account. If you change the sharing settings of account it will automatically be reflected to contact.

Make account Public read/Write,by this you can see all the account and contact viewable and accessible  for each user.

Thanks

Mohit Mohan

Developer Support team.

Shilpa_SFShilpa_SF

Hi,

If a user from Group A creates an Account, and user from Group B creates the Contact,Follwing might be the scenario why both groups can see the contacts.

1) Groupa A can see the Contact records, because  "controlled by parent" OWD setting on contact.

2) Group B can see the Contact records, because of the sharing settings on the Contact object.

Make the Contact OWD setting as 'Private'  and see if it works.

sfdeveloper9sfdeveloper9

I had Modify All option checked Contacts for all the Profiles, which will overwrite sharing settings. unchecking that option solved the issue.

all, Thank you for your responses.

PK

This was selected as the best answer