function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
SydneyForceSydneyForce 

Insufficient Priveleges to change owner of an account

I've had some users report to me that for Accounts of which they are the Owner, when they try to change the Owner to another user they can an "Insufficient Privileges" error as below:

Insufficient Privileges You do not have the level of access necessary to perform the operation you requested. Please contact the owner of the record or your administrator if access is necessary.

What permissions need to be granted to allowing a user to change the Owner of an account. I thought that if they were the Owner, they would have the permission to change the Owner to someone else.

Thanks for the assistance.

Pradeep_NavatarPradeep_Navatar

It seems that the record owners are not having 'Transfer Record' permission. Edit the user profile, scroll down to the Administrative permissions, check the 'Transfer Record' checkbox and save the profile.

Please find below the writeup related to the change ownership permissons :

The ability to change ownership of records depends upon user permissions, sharing as established by the organization wide defaults, and the role hierarchy.

The following rules apply for record transfers:

1. System Administrators can transfer all records.

2. Standard Users can transfer ownership of any lead, contact, account, case or opportunity record that he/she owns or that is owned by a user below him/her in the role hierarchy (except campaigns).

3. Only users with the Marketing User check box selected on their personal information page can transfer campaigns.

4. If your organization wide defaults are set to Public Read/Write/Transfer for cases or leads, all users can transfer that type of record. If the organization wide defaults are more stringent, the rules outlined above apply.

5. For Enterprise Edition users, certain permissions can also affect the ability to change record ownership, like "Modify all Data"  and "Transfer Records".

6. Users with the "Transfer Record" permission can transfer any account, contact, lead, case or opportunity individually or in mass.

7. Users with the "Transfer Leads" and "Manage Leads" permissions can transfer any lead individually or in mass.

8. Users with the "Modify All Data" permission can transfer ownership of all records.

*Please note that users who have the ability to edit a record do not necessarily have the ability to transfer it.

Did this answer your question? If not, let me know what didn't work, or if so, please mark it solved.

SydneyForceSydneyForce

Thanks for your assistance Pradeep.

Ticking "Transfer Record" does work, but I don't want users access to transfer ALL records, just ones they're the owner of.

I would have thought that if a user is the owner of the records, they should be able to transfer if following the information you've provided:

2. Standard Users can transfer ownership of any lead, contact, account, case or opportunity record that he/she owns or that is owned by a user below him/her in the role hierarchy (except campaigns)

Pradeep_NavatarPradeep_Navatar

User will be able to see the records which they own in this way. Provided you have not made changes in the organisation wise defaults and sharing settings.

DahmanDahman

Hi SydneyForce.. I hope you can help me with something similar.

I created a user with the same profile as all my standard users. the new user is unable to view some accounts. I looked everywhere to try to find the real cause.. no luck..

Many thanks

Dahman 

cda023cda023

is this available in Professional?

I have users that are trying to transfer contacts/leads/opportunities that they own to other users below in the hierarchy.  They receive insufficient privileges errors.

Thanks in advance