function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
akak 

Linking two account records together.

I want to be able to link two account recordss together to show two organisations are related in someway, but not through the account hierarchy.

I have tried creating a "junction Object" and displaying a related list but this only shows one side of the relationship. (I have used this very successfully for creating relationships between contacts and organisations, but these are two different objects)

Has anyone got any ideas on how to link two Accounts so you can see the relationship from either account page layout. 

Pradeep_NavatarPradeep_Navatar

Are these two custom objects apart from the standard Account object? Please explain the business logic.

akak

These are not custom objects. They are the standard Account object. My description was probably inaccurate - I am not trying to link two different objects, but link two instances of the same object.

Business logic:

Two organisations that partner each other - I want to see in each organisations record that they partner with the other organisation.

Pradeep_NavatarPradeep_Navatar

Best way to handle this is to create a custom lookup to account itself and after that write a trigger to achieve this functionality. Whenever you create a relationship, trigger will update it in the other record and same relationship will be created with in both the accounts and you will be able to see the records in to the related list of each other.

Hope this helps.

akak

Hello Pradeep,

Thanks for your suggestions.

It has been suggested to me that the Partner Related list allows you to link two Account Records together, with a role. This seems to achieve the desired outcome, with the benefit that you can have more than one link for each account.

The partner related list was hidden on our page layouts, but we have now made them visible.

We are experimenting with this, but so far it looks promising.