function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Adam1Adam1 

questions about daily email limit

There are a couple things I need to understand about this limit, and I can't find the answers anywere.

1. Do workflow Outbound Messages count against the daily mass email limit, or does it only apply to messages sent to leads/contacts?

2. What happens to emails sent after the initial 500? Are they dropped or queued until the next day?

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
Rasmus MenckeRasmus Mencke
Hi,

1. No, they do not count against the daily llimit
2. The daily limit is 1,000 - for mass emails you can not scehdule above your limit - if you have scheduled above the limit they will be send out.

We will not drop emails and we do not re-queue them for the next day.

All Answers

Hi,

1. No, they do not count against the daily llimit
2. The daily limit is 1,000 - for mass emails you can not scehdule above your limit - if you have scheduled above the limit they will be send out.

We will not drop emails and we do not re-queue them for the next day.
This was selected as the best answer
Adam1Adam1
Thanks for the reply!

We have Enterprise, and I thought the daily limit is 500. Is that not correct?

On a related note, are e-mails sent to individual contacts in SalesForce counted against the limit, or is it only e-mails sent via the Mass Email Contacts and Mass Email Leads tools?
The daily limit is 1,000 emails.

Mass emails to contacts or leads counts towards this limit. As well as emails sent through the API.
Ensemble CRMEnsemble CRM
Do emails processed by the APEX email Service apply to these limits?

Are you sure it's 1000, because it seems to be stopping at 500 if my above questions answer is a yes
Apex Email Services, which is inbound emails have a higher rate limit. Outbound emails have a default limit of 1,000 emails. Batch sizes for mass emails are dependent on your edition.
JoselynJoselyn

Hi,

What is the daily limit for Inbound Emails? Where I can find this information?

Thanks

JDNordbergJDNordberg

Hi Rasmus,

I understand that there are not limits on emails to interal users.  Is this the case for Partner Users?

Seb OrtizSeb Ortiz

Hi

The limit for Inbound Emails can be found on the online help under "Defining Email Services"

Over Email Rate Limit Action

Determines what the email service does with messages if the total number of messages processed by all email services combined has reached the daily limit for your organization. Salesforce.com calculates the limit by multiplying the number of user licenses by 1,000. For example, if you have ten licences, your organization can process up to 10,000 email messages a day.

Hope it helps

Sebastian

ShamilShamil

Rasmus,

I might be asking the same question here, but I want to be very specific:

Do Email Alerts - which is a type of workflow actions (NOT Outbound Messages) count against the daily outbound email limit for an org?

Adam @ DeloitteAdam @ Deloitte

This is good to know if I wanted to have a time dependent workflow that every Friday sent 2K emails to my users with notes about updates to articles or other records am I correct that they would not hit the 1K limit as this was triggered by a workflow?

Adam

morrinjmorrinj

hi, can you tell me if email alerts that are internal emails to our own sfdc users count towards the daily limits? 

Thanks, 

Jane

They do not count towards the limit. 

morrinjmorrinj

great thank you for your reply!

agum34agum34

Here is some information I received from Salesforce on the daily email limit -

What COUNTS towards the limit
* Mass Emails to Contacts
* Mass Email to Leads
* Emails send via the API to email addresses 
* Emails send via the API to contacts (Both single and mass emails)
* Emails send via API to Leads (both Single & Mass Emails)

What DOES NOT COUNT towards the limit
* Mass emails to Users
* Emails via API to User ID’s
* Emails send from the “Send Email” button on contacts (single emails/email author)
* Emails send from the “Send Email” button on Leads (single emails/email author)
* Workflow emails
* System generated emails

sfdcfoxsfdcfox

In the original question, they mention Outbound Messages, which is actually an API feature, but they were referring to emails (apparently). Workflow-initiated emails (Email Alerts) do not count against your limit. Only those emails that are sent by the API or Mass Email Wizard counts towards your limits.

MCunninghamMCunningham

No - as they are emails to internal users only they do not count towards the daily limit

HirenHiren

Is there a way to check how many more emails that can be sent at a give time? Or Total number of emails sent today? I am looking for a way to prevent from error being thrown so that I can send an email to a specific email address (admin) that today's email limit has been reached.

monsterdustinmonsterdustin

Running into same problem:

Have enterprise sales cloud license. Sending inbound emails to SF using email service to a custom object which contains order information in XML that is parsed and creates/updates contacts from an order DB we use outside of SF.

Hitting the 1,000/day email service limitation.

My Question(s):

1) Do I need to buy more enterprise edition license to increase by 1,000 X new license? ...or does a less expensive "license" per org propgate an increase in limits?

2) Since I've read that SF to SF there is no limit, if I have another enterprise user license thats idle, could I send the e-mail from 3rd party app using SF e-mail and send to other user account e-mail?, ...thus creating "SF to SF" contact and not have to buy tons of more license?

Thanks,

Dustin

agum34agum34

You can use use Messaging.reserveSingleEmailCapacity(1) to check to see if you are going to go over, unfortunetely you cannot catch the Limit exception but here is a scheduled Apex class that I used to find when the limit was occuring.  This ran in 20 minute intervals and I posted to a Chatter Group since you cannot send an email through Apex if you have reached your daily email limit.

global class CheckEmailLimit implements Schedulable {
	global void execute(SchedulableContext SC) {
   	    try {
   	        Messaging.reserveSingleEmailCapacity(1);
   	        FeedItem post = new FeedItem();

post.ParentId = '0F97000000001ZW'; //Chatter Group
			post.Body = 'Under email limit';

insert post;
		} catch (Exception e) {
                    // This code will never be reached when going over the daily email limit
                    // Limit exceptions cannot be caught
   	  	    FeedItem post = new FeedItem();

post.ParentId = '0F97000000001ZW'; //Chatter Group
			post.Body = 'Over email limit';

insert post;
   	  	}   	  	 
   	}
 }

PartnerAdmin71PartnerAdmin71

I seem to be hitting the limit at 500 emails instead of 1,000 so I need to ask: if an email includes a BCC recipient, does it count twice? I wouldn't have thought so, but it seems the only explanation...

Seb OrtizSeb Ortiz
Hi, are you sending Single or Mass emails? Because mass emails have a smaller limit -- Seba
PartnerAdmin71PartnerAdmin71
Single emails; Salesforce confirm the limit ought to be 1000. Still we get a "limit reached" error at 500.
Seb OrtizSeb Ortiz

In fact, the daily single and mass email limits count each external email address. So if you have the same email adress 10 times in the same email, that counts as 10 against the limit.

take a look at apex dev guide, section governors and limits

regards,

Sebastian

SivaDevakiSivaDevaki

Check out MassMailer app at www.mansasys.com/massmailer which will let you by pass salesforce mass email limitations.