function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
lamayclamayc 

Dynamic price books

I have a master product list. Each client gets a different percentage off price on products. Can I do this and will everything stay in sync with master price book?

Example : Have master price book with 1000 products (each with its own price of course). Client X gets 10% off each product. Client Y gets 20% off. Client Z gets 30% off. I am assuming (please correct me if there is a better way) that I need to create 3 cloned price books for this and set the prices appropriately.

1) I do not see any way to set a formulae in a price book, so I would have to enter each price manually. (A pain to have to program something for this, but doable). It would of course be great if I could just set a discount formulae though ... ie price book A has 10% discount on all items.

2) Can I set the other price books to automatically be updated with new products ftom the master list (since all the price books have the same exact products). For example, if a add 50 new products to the master list, I would ideally like the other 3 price books to pick up the products and of course have the discounts correctly applied for these products. (Again, a pain to have to program something in for this, like maybe a trigger on master price book change, blah, blah ... but if there is something already available for this, that would be fantastic).
Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
MVJMVJ
You have other options available to you besides creatong multiple price books.  With Summer 08 comming you have some cross object formulas where you could potential store the discount percentage for each customr and pull that into the opportunity and calculate the price for the customer based upon thier discount percentage.

You can also look at creating some APEX code that will do the same thing for you. 

These are just two quick thoughts that come to mind.

Mike Viola

All Answers

MVJMVJ
You have other options available to you besides creatong multiple price books.  With Summer 08 comming you have some cross object formulas where you could potential store the discount percentage for each customr and pull that into the opportunity and calculate the price for the customer based upon thier discount percentage.

You can also look at creating some APEX code that will do the same thing for you. 

These are just two quick thoughts that come to mind.

Mike Viola

This was selected as the best answer
AkiTAkiT
Creating logic with apex code that performs the needed calculation is the most powerful choice, and probably the most suitable one.

-Aki
GTechGTech

I am not a developer ... so generated apex code to build the automated calulation would be difficult for me...  Can support assist?

JPSeaburyJPSeabury

@GTech:

If you are not a developer, and are looking for this type of functionality, you may want to look into a Configure, Price, Quote (CPQ) tool.  Go to the AppExchange, and do a search on CPQ and you should find several vendors who specialize in this type of functionality.

CPQ applications take the custom code / development needs out of the equation.  They are idealy suited for customers who have either complex product catalogues or frequently changing promotional offerings / bundles.

We just went through a round of CPQ vendor evaluations, and I was particularly impressed with the offerings by Cameleon Software.  If you don't have the in-house development expertise (or even if you do, but don't want to re-invent the wheel), their CameleonCloud CPQ tool is worth looking into.