function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
DamonDamon 

Modifying Standard Fields (AJAX -> APEX call)

Hi all.  I'm working on a project wherein  I need to understand if it's possible to modify built-in fields such that they become links which initiate an external web services call.  I've already got the Apex code in place to make the web services call so that part is working; I added a custom Tab based on an S-Control that calls the relevant class.  What I now need to do is take that from a custom Tab and embed it into an existing Tab.  Specifically, I'd like to modify existing fields so they become JavaScript onClick events which call my Apex class.  Is this possible?  I'm initially targetting the phone number fields within a Contact record.

As an alternative, I would consider adding a custom link that calls my Apex class but I want the link to appear as near as possible to the built-in field so users understand the relationship.  I was thinking of perhaps making the link an image to visually describe the expected action.  I looked at the built-in CTI functionality but it's not really intended for making external web services calls since the embedded URL includes explicit references to "localhost".

Any advice would be much-appreciated.

Thanks!

Damon