function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
EarlatOnboardEarlatOnboard 

How to prevent Customer Portal Users from deleting Related Content?

My question derives from working on a SFDC Customer Portal project for the business I work for. After configuring and setting up a Custom Profile, Custom Object, and Workspace permissions for Portal users, we found that when logged in as a Customer Portal user, the portal user is able to delete/remove related content from records created under the Custom object we configured. This Custom Object is permission to ONLY allow READ access to Customer Portal Profile Users. Does anyone have any ideas on how we can remove the delete button or prevent our portal users from deleting items from the "Related Content" section? Could this be a Bug?

Message Edited by EarlatOnboard on 11-07-2008 11:04 AM
advlgxpmadvlgxpm
Go to the page layout your users are using. Go into Edit mode, scroll to the related list. Double click it to open up its properties. Uncheck the buttons you don't want displayed.
I tried your suggestion and it appears that the "Standard Buttons" section of this Related Content area are not available in edit mode. To be sure, I tried it on another related list Item and the Standard button section was present, along with the option to deselect buttons.   But it is just seems to be not available when it comes to editing the Related content page layout area.

Thanks for looking into this though,
Earl
Gregg JohnsonGregg Johnson
How did you create the related list? Did you add the "Related Content" related list in the custom object page layout, or create a custom lookup field in Content that relates files to your custom object?
Hi, thanks for the quick response!   We added the "Related Content" area to the page layout of the custom object under the related list section. This is not something we created ourself. This is something that is available to all object (Custom or not) under the Related Lists of Page layouts
MPIMPI
Earlat,

Not sure if you're still having issues with this, but my organization wanted to prevent the deletion of any Contacts or Accounts and I spent some time looking to do this. You can remove the delete button from the view screen of the actual record but you are not able to remove it from the related lists section.

The way I got around this was by overriding the Delete button itself. Under the Buttons and Links section of the object page you can Override the delete button with a Visualforce Page. I created a dummy page using the standardController for that object (required for Override) that simply contains a header tag with the text "Deletion of Records is not Allowed". So whenever someone tried to delete a record it would display that message instead and perform no action.

Hope this helps.