function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
J RoamJ Roam 

Friendly URL

Is there a way of displaying a "friendly url" (hiding the url behind some text) in the url field instead of the actual LONG url string?
werewolfwerewolf
You can make a formula field that uses the HYPERLINK function which sets your actual URL field as the URL but shows some friendly text in front of it.
J RoamJ Roam
I didn't know I could use formulas that way, thanks!

If the URL was static or derived from data on the record (i.e. address information), I think that would work great.
In this case the URL is user supplied as a link to an document in our internal content manager.

I could use a URL field for them to enter and then as you suggested a formula field to pull it in and hide it behind the text of the account name.
And I could use record types and workflow update to hide the original URL field and only display the "friendly" formual field.

The only downside of that is that they would no longer be able to edit the URL once entered....

When are rich text fields going to be available?  Are they available in Visualforce?

I think I'll give them the option of Ugly or Uneditable and let THEM choose.

I know someone's going to suggest the Content Manager.
I've tried selling them on SFDC content manager but the additional $ made it DOA.