function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
briano.ax404briano.ax404 

Can you open a salesforce.com page(a salesforce URL) when logged in using the API?

I was hoping to log someone into Salesforce.com, retrieve their userinfo and then open a salesforce.com page for them using the sessionid from the api.
Is this possible?
Rgds,
Brian
RickyGRickyG
Brian -

Why did you want to open a page with the API?  The API does not allow user interaction directly, which is what the page is designed to do.  I suspect you will be able to achieve your result in a more direct way.  If you could elaborate on that desired result, it would help.

briano.ax404briano.ax404

I was going to develop a login page on my partner site

On submit:

• I would log in using the api
  • Retrieve user details from salesforce and store these in on my partner site (session variables).
  • Open a salesforce URL in a new window using the api login
  • I also thought, on my partner site, i could open other salesforce pages using the api login as i would have a salesforce session.
With the session variables i store above, i could display content and menus appropriate to the partner on my partner site.

I guess my issue is that i have a partner site with only a portion of this being a salesforce login.

hope that makes sense?

Brian
RickyGRickyG
Brian -

So you want to have a salesforce.com page as part of a partner site and spare the user the overhead of logging into the Force.com server, right? 

If you direct the user to a page and they are not logged in, they will be prompted to login, and that session information will be automatically saved in their browser.  This is a bit more user work, but it is a one time thing, and avoids the code you would have to write for the API.

Something to consider, hope this helps.