function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
shapoorshapoor 

API Rate Limiting

What constitutes an API call as far as Rate Limiting calculations?  For example are:

- Downloaded APPEXCHANGE Application (some of which may use API calls)?
- Client Applications like Outlook Edition and Offline Edition?
- Outbound messaging?
- AJAX/Scontrols?

Message Edited by shapoor on 03-01-2007 07:16 AM

zakzak
Anything that make an API call counts towards the limits, including any appExchange packages you've installed that use the API, our desktop client apps (Outlook, Office, etc), Scontrols that use the Ajax toolkit. Outbound Messaging doesn't count, unless the listener make API calls when it recieves a message.
gsickalgsickal
Is there an API call we can make to check the current API call count?  This could help in debugging to see how many calls are made as well as checking before we do an operation to make sure it doesn't fail with an API Request Limit Exceeded error...
SuperfellSuperfell
No there's no API call for that (and if there was it'd count as a call, so largely defeating the point).

The company information page in the application (under setup) will show you the current count for the last 24 hours along with the current limit.

gsickalgsickal
Great, thanks, this is exactly what I wanted (too see how much the limit went up when I performed a certain action).  I didn't know the info was there in the Company Info under Setup... This helps tremendously, thanks Simon !
gsickalgsickal
One thing that would be nice would be to add the time the rolling interval starts so if someone does get locked out when developing they know when they'll be able to get back on...
SteveBowerSteveBower
Even sweeter would be to have an "API Lockout" Boolean flag and an "API Lockout Expiration" Date/Time be returned as part of the LoginResult object. (or the GetUserInfoResult object also returned.)

Of course we should be coding to avoid this situation anyway, and just because you're not locked out on the Login call doesn't mean you couldn't exceed the limit *during* the course of your operations... but it would be cleaner to have the possibility to check up front.

(Yes, we can of course follow all Login calls with another call like getServerTimeStamp and catch the exception, but...)

Steve.

AlexCRMmanagerAlexCRMmanager
I agree with Steve, these features are definitely needed in the API. Steve, you should post that idea on the IdeaExchange.
SteveBowerSteveBower
Done.

http://ideas.salesforce.com/article/show/70294/Enhance_LoginResult_to_include_information_about_API_Lockout_and_API_Lockout_Expiration

Thanks, Steve.