function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
dgrissendgrissen 

Person Accounts - Is a corresponding Contact ID created and can you access it?

Hi,

As I understand it, Person Accounts are a record type of an Account.  However, I've been told that a Contact is actually created behind the scenes and associated to the account, just not displayed in the UI.

Is this correct?  Specifically, I would like to be able to access the corresponding contact ID via a custom link at the account level.  Something like Account.ContactID?  Would this work?

Appreciate any help.

Thanks,
Darrell
Ron HessRon Hess
if you can find it in the WSDL, you can access it, i don't know if it's visible.
what information do you want out of the contact record? the object itself should hold that info.
dgrissendgrissen
Hi Ron,

Thank you so much for the quick reply.  Our product is built to work with leads and contacts.  Specifically, from a Contact, the URL for a custom link looks like:

So if there is a corresponding Contact record that is created for a person account but not exposed via the UI, is it possible to reference that Contact in a custom link from a Person account?  Thanks again for all of the help.

Darrell
Ron HessRon Hess
ok, i understand.
you will have to look at the WSDL for your org to see if the contact id is available, i don't have person accounts turned on in my developer org or i would check.
dgrissendgrissen

Ron,

Thanks again.  It's in my wsdl:

<element name="PersonContactId" nillable="true" minOccurs="0" type="tns:ID" />

but I can't seem to  figure out how to reference this ID in a web integration link (E.g. I tried  url?contactId={!Account.PersonContactId} and I received an error trying to save saying the field is invalid.

Darrell

Ron HessRon Hess
ok, then it's not going to be available in the merge field as you found, you could / would have to fetch it using ajax and then construct the final URL that you want to go to.  sorry.