function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
SueHallSueHall 

Workflow Rules not evaluating

On a custom object I have setup 3 separate workflow rules with 9 to 10 field updates in each.  The Evaluation Criteria is "Every time a record is created or edited".  However, one of the field updates (Field "y") is not evaluating the first time a record is saved.  I must click "edit" and then "save" in the record a second time for the field update to happen.

The update that does not work is based on the calculations. Example: if field "x" is between 0-25 update field "y" with this value "Bid Recommended"

I tried to get around this by using a formula field rather than workflow field update but the result is the same. 

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get around this issue?
tschatztschatz

Does field x contain an initial value or is it null?

_t

SueHallSueHall
The field is null
tschatztschatz

Not much experience so just a guess, but if field x = null it doesn't = between 0 - 25 so field y won't be updated.

_t

Message Edited by tschatz on 11-08-2007 01:48 PM

SueHallSueHall

Thanks for the feedback!  I should clarify...

There are multiple fields involved.  Fields A, B and C have numeric values.  Based on the total of fields A, B and C, field X is populated accordingly.

Example:

Field A = 14

Field B = 1

Field C = 5

Field D = 20 (totals the values from A, B and C using a formula)

A workflow rule reads the value in D and determines what field X should be populated with. In this example it should be 0-25. This should all happen once I click save on the record. However, field X doesn't update when I click save. I have click save, then edit and save again before it will populate appropriately. 

I suspect what happens is the first time I save the record it only totals field D.

RajaramRajaram
Sue,
 I seems like the rule is evaluating as the value of the field is null. A Null value is not the same as a "0" value.
 If you want to treat the null value as a 0, then you should handle it in the rule filter as follows:
 Field A equals <leave it blank>
 Field A greater than or equall to 0
 Field A less than 25

Then in the Advanced options of the rule specify the following:
 1 OR (2 AND 3)

This will the rule will fire if the first filter (Field a equals blank) is true.

If you are using a formula-based rule, you whould handle it there as well:
 OR
   ISNULL(FieldA),
   Field A >=0,
   Field A < 25
 )

Hope this helps..

Raja
rpr2rpr2

Sue,

If Rajaram's response resolved your issue, great.  If it didn't, and if the update that isn't working until the second edit/save is part of a separate workflow rule, see if you can combine it to be part of one of your other workflow rules.  That's what I had to do to resolve a similar problem that I was having a few weeks back.

Rhonda