function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
dev_jhdev_jh 

Issue with Trigger using Maps

Hi all,

I have created a trigger to check that a combination of 2 fields (document type and document number) in the Contact object is unique. To avoid the "Too many SOQL queries" for bulk inserts I tried the following approach:

trigger contactUniqueDocument on Contact (before insert, before update) { // Create a Map that holds all contacts in Salesforce and another one to hold the ones being inserted Map<String, Contact> ContactosExistentes = new Map<String, Contact> (); Map<String, Contact> ContactosNuevos = new Map<String, Contact> (); for(Contact storedContacts : [SELECT Id, documentType__c, documentNumber__c FROM Contact]) { String documentId = storedContacts.documentType__c; documentId += storedContacts.documentNumber__c; ContactosExistentes.put(documentId, storedContacts); } // Go through the list of Contacts created / updated to find issues for(Contact Contacto: Trigger.new) { String NewdocumentId = Contacto.documentType__c; NewdocumentId += Contacto.documentNumber__c; if(ContactosExistentes.containsKey(NewdocumentId)) { Contacto.addError('There is already a contact on SF with this Doc Type & Num'); } if(ContactosNuevos.containsKey(NewdocumentId)) { Contacto.addError('There is already a contact on this list with this Doc Type & Num'); } else { ContactosNuevos.put(NewdocumentId , Contacto); } } }

The problem I am facing is that Maps have a limit of 1,000 elements and we have more than 9,000 contacts, so I am getting errors when trying to upload +1,000 records with Dataloader.

Unfortunately I can´t use Sets (same limitation) or Lists (unable to search for values, only return elements by position).

But there must be an easier way of doing this.... Any ideas?

Thanks,

J

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
dev_jhdev_jh

Got it working in the end. Thanks anyways

All Answers

dev_jhdev_jh

Got it working in the end. Thanks anyways

This was selected as the best answer
a.schaefera.schaefer
care to share your solution? :)
dev_jhdev_jh

Sure. I created a formula field that was the combination of the 2 fields (not visible). I then used a Set to insert the bulk records being updated / inserted (to insert the combo of the 2 fields I mean) and finally did a bulk SELECT using the IN clause to check for any existing Contacts where the formula field equalled any of the elements in the Set.

J

a.schaefera.schaefer
thanks!