function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
kutts18kutts18 

License clarification

We are going to start our first project in Force.com platform,

and coming from j2ee/.net background we are facing

some problems with development. So if anybody

could give some suggestions/advice regarding the following

it would really help us.

1. Whats the differences between a developer edition license and a platform edition license?

2. For team development which license is better?

3. How do you put the classes/pages in a organised way? (i mean like packages in java)

4. How do you actually debug an apex class?

5. Is there any coding convention document avialable for VF/Apex?

6. Though i have updated my eclipse force plugin, its still doesnt have code assist.

How can i get code assist support in the Eclipse IDE?

Thanks

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
aalbertaalbert

I'll try to answer some of those questions. 

1. Whats the differences between a developer edition license and a platform edition license?

Answer: Developer Edition is a free 2- full CRMlicenses + 3 platform licenses + customer portal + mobile. More details on Developer Edition are documented here. Platform Edition is a type of license but requires you to pay to get access (pay per license). In short, Developer Edition is a great place to get started for free.

It depends how many developers you are working with on your team and also if you are a registered Partner of salesforce.com. I know thats not a very helpful answer. 

3. How do you put the classes/pages in a organised way? (i mean like packages in java)

I have used naming conventions in the past. Maybe someone else has a better way, but classes/pages currently don't have java-like packages. 

For starters, use System.debug('insert string here..'); in your apex code. Then to see the output, you can use the Debug Logs and/or System Logs to view the output. Debug Logs can be enabled under Setup | Administration Setup |  Monitoring. System Logs are visible for System Admins in the upper right hand part of the salesforce.com UI (next to Setup). Lastly, there is currently no support for breakpoint-style debugging. 

Not sure. 

6. Though i have updated my eclipse force plugin, its still doesnt have code assist.

I just updated my eclipse today....haven't gotten a chance to use the code assist feature yet myself. 

All Answers

aalbertaalbert

I'll try to answer some of those questions. 

Answer: Developer Edition is a free 2- full CRMlicenses + 3 platform licenses + customer portal + mobile. More details on Developer Edition are documented here. Platform Edition is a type of license but requires you to pay to get access (pay per license). In short, Developer Edition is a great place to get started for free.

It depends how many developers you are working with on your team and also if you are a registered Partner of salesforce.com. I know thats not a very helpful answer. 

I have used naming conventions in the past. Maybe someone else has a better way, but classes/pages currently don't have java-like packages. 

For starters, use System.debug('insert string here..'); in your apex code. Then to see the output, you can use the Debug Logs and/or System Logs to view the output. Debug Logs can be enabled under Setup | Administration Setup |  Monitoring. System Logs are visible for System Admins in the upper right hand part of the salesforce.com UI (next to Setup). Lastly, there is currently no support for breakpoint-style debugging. 

Not sure. 

I just updated my eclipse today....haven't gotten a chance to use the code assist feature yet myself. 

This was selected as the best answer
JonPJonP
What version of Eclipse are you running?  Which actual Eclipse bundle did you download (e.g. for Java Developers, for RCP/Plugin Developers, etc.) and on what OS?  Do you have any third party plugins installed?