function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Gemini@WorkGemini@Work 

Problem installing / updating Eclipse -- missing required plug-in "org.eclipse.compare"

I'm running into problems installing Eclipse to a new laptop.  I'm using the install help from the ApexDevNet WIKI, getting stuck at Step 3 (second bullet):

=============================================================

3.  Add the Force.com IDE Remote Site:
  • Click "New Remote Site". The New Update Site dialog opens.
  • Set the Name to "Force.com IDE" and the URL to "http://www.adnsandbox.com/eclipsetoolkit/release", then click OK.
  • Select “Europa Discovery Site” and "Automatically select mirrors”, then click “Finish”. Eclipse will search the selected sites for the required plugins.

=============================================================

I never make it to the 3rd bullet ... instead I get the following error:

cwall_sfdccwall_sfdc
"org.eclipse.compare" is included in the "Eclipse IDE for Java Developers" download (in both Eclipse 3.2.2 and 3.3.x).  Please ensure that the downloaded and installed Eclipse includes this jar (<eclipse-home>/plugins/org.eclipse.compare_<version>.jar).

-Chris
Gemini@WorkGemini@Work
It looks like I have the appropriate file loaded.  Any other thoughts?

Gemini@WorkGemini@Work

Problem solved.  My crack IT department was doing something squirely on the file server where my "My Documents" folder is shared.  This seemed to be blocking the update.

To bypass, I installed Eclipse to my local hardrive, and it is now updating fine.