function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
smeehsmeeh 

trying to copy email field from one object to a related object

L.S.

I am trying to copy an email address from one object to another related object.

if I select the "text" type in a formula field, it copies the email address allright. But then is is not recognised as an email adres and therefor can not be used for sending e-mails.

Any suggestions?

Any help is highly appreciated

Henk

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
smeehsmeeh

Gregory,

thanks a lot; I'll do it in the way your described.

Henk

All Answers

Gregory512Gregory512

What are the two related objects?   Are you trying to send emails using workflow?

Either way, you should be able to do this with workflow.

Rather than adding a formula field, add an email field and name it "Email" or whatever and save it.  Then create a workflow rule and choose the related object that you're copying the email to.  Choose "When a record is created, or when a record is edited and did not previously meet the rule criteria." For your filter criteria, select something that is always true (if there's a picklist on the object, choose the picklist as your field, Equals as your operator and select all of the picklist values.  Thay way the workflow will always fire because the criteria is always true.)

Then add a field update to the new workflow rule.  Choose the new email field you just created as the field to update.  Then select "Use a formula to set the new value."  Click "Show Formula Editor" - then "Insert Field" and navigate to the email address you want to copy - when you insert the email field it should look something like this:  Contact__r.Email.

Hope that helps.  Good luck.

smeehsmeeh

Gregory,

thanks a lot; I'll do it in the way your described.

Henk

This was selected as the best answer