function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
PannarPannar 

Question on Field Level Updates

Dear all,

I would like to know if it is possible to determine what fields were modified by a user when saving an object in Salesforce.  For example, a user accesses the Account object and updates the Description and Customer Group values.  When they click Save, can that action be captured and those 2 fields identified as modified for further processing in an easy fashion?

Thanks in advance
Pannar

Message Edited by Pannar on 11-27-2008 03:21 AM
PannarPannar

Please anyone can respond to my query.

RickyGRickyG
Pannar -

Click Set History Tracking in the field list for the object - this will allow you to specify which fields should be tracked in the History file.

Hope this helps.
PannarPannar

Thanks Rick.

I am not able to find the Account history, how do you track the modified fields in each save/modify?

I had set the fields which i wanted to capture.however, how do i test whether the modified records are captured. ActivityHistory table doesn't return any result, instead it says that Query failed:Invalid_Type_for_operation:entity type doesn't support query.

where shall i see the modified fields values? please give me some hint

PannarPannar

Does Set History tracking allows to trace ALL the fields we need to capture or only few? If only few, how to capture all the fields?

regards

pannar

RickyGRickyG
Pannar -

When you click on Set History Tracking for the Account standard object, you are presented with a list of fields you can track. I'm not sure that all fields are listed there, although I do see Description as one of the options.

PannarPannar

Thanks Ricky, much appreciated for your help.

Last but not least, i found that there is a table called AcitivtyHistory in SFDC DB. i chose some of the fields which i wanted to capture under Account object. however, i wanted to know how to do this practically? i mean whats the approach to get this done. thru apex coding or thru querying thru apex explorer?

RickyGRickyG
Uh, how about reporting?
PannarPannar
Sure that can help. could you give your guidance? :-(
RickyGRickyG
Create a report based on the history object, right?  If you need an overview of reporting, you can get it in online help, the Force.com Fundamentals book or the Developer Guide.
PannarPannar

Yes Ricky. I wish to get the Account History object under Report tab->Other Reports section.

I used to generate reports in tabular format by selecting the particular object and choose the fields which i wanted to display and filter the fields by entering the formula fields.

Still looking for Account History object?