function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
jon feldmanjon feldman 

Assigning autonumbers to existing records

Sorry for the newbie question, but I've added an autonumber field to my opportunity page, and while it works great assigning numbers to new opportunities, I can't for the life of me figure out how to retroactively have it number my existing records.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks very much!
RickyGRickyG
jon -

In my DE org, there is a checkbox labeled "Generate Auto Number for existing records".  Did you check that?  Did it not work?

Hope this helps.
jon feldmanjon feldman
Rick,

Fantastic - just completely missed the check box.  Thank you very much for your help!

-- Jon
RickyGRickyG
Sometimes they are easy . . . . .:smileywink:
Vijay RautVijay Raut

Hi Ricky,

Is there any way to regenerate auto number on all existing records. My problem is that, I have Auto Number field, but when it was created, they didn't used "Generate Auto Number for existing records" checkbox. And now I want to force that some how.

Thank in advance.

V.R.

Ishmeet MalhotraIshmeet Malhotra
When you move an Auto Number field through change set between environments, and you have "Generate Auto Number for existing records" checked. Then in the new environment after deploying the change set numbers dont get generated for existing records and there is no way of forcing an existing Auto Number firld then to generate those numbers.If there is it would be awesome if someone can guide me.