function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
FluffyFluffy 

Why can't I query certain Salesforce tables ???

Hello,

I use java and axis 2 , and stubs generated with xmlbeans option. I can execute queries on
most saleforce tables (72 of them). However, there are 8 tables which I cannot query
at all. These tables are: Name, NoteAndAttachment, EmailStatus,
OpenActivity,AdditionalNumber,ProcessInstanceHistory, Approval and ActivityHistory.

Whenever I try to query any of these tables with the API, I get the following exception:

<meta http-equiv="CONTENT-TYPE" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="GENERATOR" content="OpenOffice.org 2.1 (Linux)"><meta name="AUTHOR" content="yana millis"><meta name="CREATED" content="20071210;9342400"><meta name="CHANGEDBY" content="yana millis"><meta name="CHANGED" content="20071210;12505100"> com.sforce.soap.enterprise.UnexpectedErrorFaultException: UnexpectedErrorFaultException
at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.java:39)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.java:27)
at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Constructor.java:494)
at java.lang.Class.newInstance0(Class.java:350)
at java.lang.Class.newInstance(Class.java:303 at
com.sforce.soap.enterprise.SforceServiceStub.query(
SforceServiceStub.java:4257)

When these same tables are queried with Perl API a more descriptive error is generated:
INVALID_TYPE_FOR_OPERATION: entity type does not support query

Its worth pointing out that these entities ARE in the wsdl file,
and they ARE being referenced by other tables, and I CAN call
describe() on them from the API, and all the correct fields and their
types are returned..

So, does anybody have an ideas why do these tables may not support
queries ?

Thanks ahead for any suggestions,
regards,

--Fluffy

Scott.MScott.M
I don't know for sure but I suspect it's because those "tables" aren't really tables but some kind of specail salesforce abstraction. So NoteAndAttachment contains field information from the Notes table and the Attachment table. Salesforce doesn't provide database level access, only an api to access their data objects.