function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
arasuarasu 

Is there a tool in salesforce that can mass upload documents ?

Hi,

Is there a tool in salesforce that can mass upload documents (excel files) to specific Accounts, instead of manually uploading it from Notes and Attachments section?

Thanks and regards,
Ambili
JohanLiljegrenJohanLiljegren
If, by "documents", you mean "attachments", you can use the Apex Data Loader for this.
Just create a .csv file with the following columns:
  • ParentId: SFDC ID of the object to attach it to
  • OwnerId: SFDC ID of the user who should own the document (defaults to you)
  • Name: Name of the file as it will appear in SFDC, e.g. MyImportantFile.doc
  • Body: The path to the file where it resides on your harddrive/network now, e.g. C:\work\MyImportantFile.doc
Feed this to the Apex Data Loader, using Insert mode and choosing "Attachment" and off you go.
Please note the 5 Mb per attachment limit SFDC enforces.

Regards
//Johan Liljegren
hemmhemm
Data Loader works great for attachments.  How about the Document object?  Is there a tool for that?
arasuarasu
Hi Johan,

Thanks for the response. That was valuable. For multiple file attachements for an account, can we use comma separator for the file path?

For e.g., will the following file path work?
C:\temp\giftcard\Gift Card_1st_45,C:\temp\telecom\Telecom_Btwn100-300_1st_45

Thanks and regards,
Ambili

Arasu,

I haven't tried it, but I don't think it will work.

If it would work, the two files would be called the same in SFDC since you specify the name of the file as it will appear in SFDC (the value in the 'Name' column) and this can differ from the actual file name on your local drive.

You will need to create a single row for each attachment.

Regards
//Johan Liljegren

Hemm,

The Apex Data Loader is your friend here, too. =)

Open Help & Training and search for import document and the first hit under the Solutions Found section gives you the following information:

To import documents using the Data Loader, follow the instructions below.

1. Create a csv file containing the following fields:

"FOLDERID","NAME","CONTENTTYPE","TYPE","ISPUBLIC","BODY",
"00l20000000tBTk", "doc2","text/plain","txt", "false", "c:\temp\dummy2.txt"
"00l20000000tBTk", "doc1","text/plain","txt", "false", "c:\temp\dummy1.txt

where:

• FOLDERID is the salesforce.com id of the folder in which the Documents should be created
  • NAME is the file name
  • CONTENTTYPE is the content type of the document
  • BODY is the location on your PC of the file which is to be attached

2. Start the Data Loader.

3. Choose Insert.

4. Click on Show all Objects.

5. Click on Document in Select Object.

6. Browse to the csv file created in step 1.

7. Click Next, then Ok.

8. Click on Create or Edit Map.

9. Click on Auto-Match fields to Columns, then click Ok.

10. Click Next, then Finish.

Your documents will now import.

Regards
//Johan Liljegren

RenatKhasanshynRenatKhasanshyn

You can also try Apatar Open Source, a free data integration tool (you can find it on AppExchange) or download a copy here: http://www.apatar.com/data_integration_for_salesforce_com.html 

In addition from importing your files from a local hard drive, Apatar can load files to Salesforce.com from FTP, HTTP and WebDAV. We are also working on connector to Amazon S3 (high availability on-demand storage which costs $0.20 per gigabyte), which is scheduled to be available on Monday, May 7th, 2007.

Online Demo (video) on how to Apatar to get data to/from Salesforce.com:  http://www.apatar.com/web_demo.html

List of free DataMaps (pre-designed data integrations) for Salesforce.com: http://apatar.com/datamaps/files/search-for-datamaps-5.html

DevAngelDevAngel
The Apex Explorer for .NET handles mass upload of and download of documents.  Just select the folder you want  to populate or get docs from on the Document tab and you can drag and drop documents from there to your drive and from your drive to your folders.

DevAngelDevAngel
There is a free developer tool that I find extremely valuable called the Apex Explorer.  In addition to providing other useful info, there is a Documents tab that you can drag and drop files from drive to folder and visa versa.

Pretty simple really.
Erik EmriErik Emri
Hejsan Johan,

I have been using the data loader to try to load attachments.  However, if I don't include the extension of the file (say "foo.txt" vs. "foo") in the Name field, Salesforce doesn't recognize the file type, even if I have the filetype spelled out in the path (e.g. c:\loadData\foo.txt).  Does someone have a good way around this?  Sometimes the attachment files I want to load don't have the most intuitive names.
Roslyn McGintyRoslyn McGinty

Thanks so much!

This was incredibly helpful.

:smileyvery-happy:

cruttley2cruttley2

I saw your technique for loading documents into Salesforce libraries.....the posting is many years old. 

Is the technique still valid?

All help appreciated

Chris