function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
gsickalgsickal 

Workflow Questions

If anyone has quick answers to any of these I would appreciate it greatly.  I've read the workflow docs but can't seem to find answers... thanks

- what happens when workflow task is assigned to "role" with multiple users?
- is there an api for "change owner"?
- can approvals be submitted automatically?
- can validation rules be run on submit for approval?
- access to line level detail for workflow rules?
- is selective locking available?
- can owner or others edit during approval process?
- approver notification of what they are approving?
- conditional steps within approval process supported?
- why can't you modify activated approvals?
- submit for approval button, can it be hidden?
RajaramRajaram
Hello,
 Thank you for your post. Here are my comments related to workflow and approvals.

- what happens when workflow task is assigned to "role" with multiple users?
A task cannot be assigned to multiple users at the same time. So, when you assign a task to a role which has multiple people, the task is assigned to the owner of the record. If however, the role has only one user, he/she is assigned the task

- can approvals be submitted automatically?
 No. However, since there is an approvals API, you may be able to build a custom solution.

- can validation rules be run on submit for approval?
No. Submit for approval is typically done after the record is saved. This means the record has passed all validations already.

- access to line level detail for workflow rules?
When defining a rule on a child object, you have access to the fields from the parent, but not the other way around. For example, rules on the opportunity product has all the opportunity fields available.

- is selective locking available?
The only way you can lock a record is during the approval process and the entire record is locked. Can you please provide details on what type of selective locking you are interested in?

- can owner or others edit during approval process?
 No, only  the current assigned approver or the admin can edit the record while it is active in an approval process.

- approver notification of what they are approving?
Approvers receive approval notification and it is entirely based on the email template designed by the administrator.

- conditional steps within approval process supported?
At each step, you can provide an entry criteria will will control if the step is to be executed. However, you cannot conditional skip to another step.

- why can't you modify activated approvals?
You cannot modify any structural changes to the approval process as you may have active approval process. So you cannot add or delete steps. You can however, add/remove actions change the criteria etc. If you want to make changes, you can clone, deactivate the current one and use the cloned process.

- submit for approval button, can it be hidden?
The submit for approval button is part of the approvals history related list. You can then create a new page layout and use the profile-page lay out assignment feature to  control the visibility of this button.

Message Edited by Rajaram on 04-16-2007 03:01 PM

TScottTScott
Hi Raja - I have a question regarding your last bullet:

"The submit for approval button is part of the approvals history related list. You can then create a new page layout and use the profile-page lay out assignment feature to control the visibility of this button."

I would like to remove the "submit for approval" button once the record is approved. The record type changes when the record is approved, so I'm trying to remove that button on the relevant page layout(s). However, I don't see the option to remove this button on the Approval History related list on my object's page layout. Am I missing something? I also see an Idea on the IdeaExchange (http://ideas.salesforce.com/article/show/78419) requesting this functionality, so I'm wondering if it really is possible today.

Thanks.
-Tom Scott, Appirio
RajaramRajaram
At this moment, the button cannot be added/removed from the related list yet.

trinitytrinity

Is it possible to remove Submit for Approval button from the Approval History now? Is there any plan to implement this functionality?