function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
steven_noblesteven_noble 

Need recommended reading in smart web app/database design

Hi there,

I did some Pascal programming in university two decades ago. Since then, haven't used much more than HTML, CSS, XML and AppleScript. In other words, I understand technology but I'm not a developer.

And yet now I find myself building an application on Force.com Sites, working solo in my own time.

I can teach myself Apex etc no problem. I can work through any glitches etc with the help of the boards. But I'm worried about the big issues: What if I write sloppy, insecure code accessing a slow, inflexible database?

I want to avoid the problems described here: http://wiki.apexdevnet.com/index.php/10_Common_Mistakes_Architects_Make

What basic, introductory, "big picture" books or resources would you recommend I absorb to get this stuff right from the start?

aalbertaalbert

The main "getting starting" page for Developers is here

On the right hand side, there are Self Guided Tutorials walking through all the different aspects of building an application with the Force.com platform. Additionally, there is a section to download several Force.com books.

werewolfwerewolf
Good question.  If I were you I'd also keep a close eye on these boards: this one (General) as well as the Apex Code & Visualforce boards.  There are lots of good questions on these boards, but over time you'll start to see patterns that emerge -- people often encounter the same general problems over and over, and the solutions are often the same.