function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
salesForceUsersalesForceUser 

Customer Portal and customization

Hi,

I am new to sfdc and looking at the customer portal as a candidate solution for the requirements I have.

Whatever I have seen of sf.com is pretty impressive, but since there are so many things, I feel that I might not have exhausted all my options when thinking that some of the requirements I have cannot be achieved with the current functionality. Please suggest/advise

Requirements:

- Application is totally deployed/customized at sf.com site, no possibility of deployment in house (no webservices/custom app)

- Customer portal has self registration not tied to contacts (as far as I could see there had to be contacts for new users to sign up)

- Customers must select at least one (or more) organizations to associate with at first login, subsequently the orgs can be updated by the customer ( but should retain at least one). I was able to expose Opportunities to the customer portal, but unsure how the forced association could be achieved.

Any pointers are appreciated.

Thanks.

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
werewolfwerewolf

- Application is totally deployed/customized at sf.com site, no possibility of deployment in house (no webservices/custom app)

This is generally how Salesforce.com works, unless you have some specific service that you already have in-house that you need to integrate.

- Customer portal has self registration not tied to contacts (as far as I could see there had to be contacts for new users to sign up)

Not possible today.  All portal users have an associated contact.  Soon, when Salesforce Sites is generally available, you'll be able to do unfettered self-registration, although portal users even then will still have an associated contact, as they should.

- Customers must select at least one (or more) organizations to associate with at first login, subsequently the orgs can be updated by the customer ( but should retain at least one). I was able to expose Opportunities to the customer portal, but unsure how the forced association could be achieved.

Are you sure about that?  Opportunity is not an exposed object in the Customer Portal.  But what do you mean, "organizations to associate with at first login?"  You mean accounts?

All Answers

werewolfwerewolf

This is generally how Salesforce.com works, unless you have some specific service that you already have in-house that you need to integrate.

Not possible today.  All portal users have an associated contact.  Soon, when Salesforce Sites is generally available, you'll be able to do unfettered self-registration, although portal users even then will still have an associated contact, as they should.

Are you sure about that?  Opportunity is not an exposed object in the Customer Portal.  But what do you mean, "organizations to associate with at first login?"  You mean accounts?

This was selected as the best answer
salesForceUsersalesForceUser

Thanks for the response! I did mistakenly mention Opportunites when in reality portal users need to be tied into Organization(s) ( or accounts).

Since you mention that a portal user needs to be a contact, can we load some code/logic into our sf workspace that when a request comes in, create a contact and hence the portal user will be created easily?

Thanks!

werewolfwerewolf

Since you mention that a portal user needs to be a contact, can we load some code/logic into our sf workspace that when a request comes in, create a contact and hence the portal user will be created easily?

Not exactly.  This logic at present would have to be maintained off of Salesforce.com's servers, on your own website, which would insert the contact and corresponding user into Salesforce.com.  When Sites becomes generally available this may be easier.