function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
TLobsingTLobsing 

Master-Detail relationships and activities

I was told by the salesforce customer service team that it was possible to create many-to-many relationships between activities and custom objects.

I have attempted to implement this relationship but I am unable to select activites as a related object for the junction object to relate to, in order to form one of the master-detail relationships that would make up the many-to-many relationship.

Is there something I am missing here that would enable me to create the master-detail relationship?
werewolfwerewolf
Unfortunately you cannot make a master-detail to Task or Event (which are the 2 types of activities).  What is the functional goal you're trying to accomplish?  Perhaps there's another way.
IspitaIspita
    Hi TLobsing,
    In SFDC you can have 1- many relationship by default between any object and Tasks/Activities. You need not do any thing for that, but having many-many relationship is not possible normally as Tasks are exposed in a limited way by SFDC.
Probably you need to call them and get the thing visible.
SFDC customer support is very prompt .

Thanks and regards,
Ispita Saha
Technical Lead
Navatarg Consulting Group
VeevaEmsVeevaEms

So I will accept that I can't make a detail object to an Event :smileysad:

But I would still like to do a lookup to Event (not-master/detail) and I can't seem to do that either!

Ultimately what I'm trying to do is track responses to external activities which are integrated into the event object.

So I need to see an Event and a related list on the Event.

I'm OK if I have to write VF to expose the Related List, but so far I don't know that the relationship can be created....

Any assistance would be great... Werewolf any ideas?

IspitaIspita

Veena,

Activities are a special category of object exposed by salesforce- the main lookup which you have with them are:-

• whoid - lead/ contact
  • whatid - (all other objects other than Lead/ contact)
  • Also salesforce doesnt allow any1 to create any custom lookup fields on this object. You can post this as an idea in IdeaExchange for salesforce to consider but as of now not possible.

Thanks ....