function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Griffin WarburtGriffin Warburt 

Increment / Seed the Auto number

I have a deployed autonumber field that is currently at 4000.  I want that field to be somewhere cloaser to 1.5 million.  The two ways that I know of are:

1. Create 1496000 more records
  2. Add a 150 as a prefix to the autonumber field

I will probably be using Option 2 right now (even though when 9999 is reached the autonumber will jump from 1,509,999 to 15,000,000)

But this issue / solution could help others (since I didn't find this answer here) so I'm posting the topic in case there is a way to seed an autonumber field.

Also, is there anyway to control the increment amount?  I want the field to increase by 9 on every new record, not 1.

Message Edited by Griffin Warburt on 07-02-2008 11:25 AM
werewolfwerewolf
When you create the autonumber field you can specify what its starting number is.  You might think about creating a new autonumber field and starting from scratch, then.

You can't make it increment by more than 1 for each record, but you can make a formula field that multiplies the autonumber by 9.  Or you can make the formula field multiply your existing autonumber by 9 and add 1,500,000 to it to get to the number you actually want.  Then hide the autonumber field itself and only show your users the formula field.
Griffin WarburtGriffin Warburt
Ah, fantastic!  Thanks so much.