function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
MClovisMClovis 

How can I add a 'Create New Record' button in a lookup window

Hi - whenever I create a custom object and have a standard lookup field in the object I'm always at a loss as to how to include a 'Create New Record' or 'New' button. I am, of course, referring to the popup window that appears when clicking the lookup icon next to a lookup field. Can anyone help?
werewolfwerewolf
Go to Setup->Customize->User Interface and turn on Show Quick Create.
MClovisMClovis
Hi Thanks for the reply. I tried this and the "New" button is still not available from a lookup window. Are you sure this is the right solution? Is there another way to incorporate a "New" or "Create New Record" next to the search box & "Go" button?
werewolfwerewolf
Well, I'm not sure what the issue is then.  I have my Show Quick Create on and it renders a New button right next to the Go button in the lookup for every lookup where I have permissions to create the object.  It doesn't show up for master-detail lookups though.  Is yours perhaps a master-detail lookup?
MClovisMClovis
Hmmm, I'm not sure what's going wrong then. It isn't a master-detail relationship, just a lookup, so according to your methodology it should show a "New" button. I also have admin rights so that shouldn't be a problem. Does this feature work on custom objects? The set-up is I have a lookup field in the Cases object to reference a custom object called "Customer Project." I'd like to be able to add a new customer project from the lookup pop-up in the Cases object. Is there something else I should be doing?
trahmantrahman
I think what Mclovis meant is when you look up a record...if it doesnt exist it would be nice to click new on that result page to create a new record. For example, look up an account for an opportunity and if the account does not exist have a new button on the result page.
MClovisMClovis
That's exactly right. Thank you!
trahmantrahman
Two things you need to do:

Enable quick create for your organization by going to setup> user interface...

and then

add the new button in

Account>search layout> list view...
or

Opportunity> search laytout> listview