function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
goingsouthgoingsouth 

powerbuilder and salesforce

Hi,

I am a newbee and I would like know how do I add my current client server application of powerbuilder/Oracle to be accessed from salesforce.com.

What other alternatives do I have if there is no support of powerbuilder applications on salesforce.com.

thanks

Mel

PS: I dont see any "powerbuilder developement" subforum on the forum site though I can see all other popular software development sites. I guess this is the right place to post this question.
werewolfwerewolf
Do you want to access Salesforce.com from your Powerbuilder app, or do you want to access your Powerbuilder app from Salesforce.com?  The former is much easier than the latter.
goingsouthgoingsouth
I would like to access my existing powerbuilder application from salesforce.com including database access to my oracle servers. Can please let me know the way I can do this?

Thanks

Mel
werewolfwerewolf
You'll have to expose a web services interface that Salesforce.com can talk to, and have your firewall permit access to that web service from the Salesforce.com IP range.  If you just need to send a lightweight message to your client/server system then look into Workflow Outbound Messages.  If you need more heavyweight back-and-forth communication then have a look at Force.com SOA.

An easier option might be to use some integration middleware like CastIron (or Pervasive, Informatica, Tibco, etc., there's a bunch of them on the AppExchange) which have prebuilt notions of the Salesforce.com data model and can ETL data back and forth between Salesforce.com and homegrown systems.
SwivelScripterSwivelScripter

Hi,

I know this thread is 2 years old but I'm guessing this problem is still current. If so, I suggest you have a look at "Swivelscript for Salesforce".

"Swivelscript for Salesforce", which will be released early 2011, enables you to integrate any Windows application from Salesforce using desktop automation, driven from Javascript. Using this approach you can transfer data to and from Salesforce using OS level copy and paste. This means there will be no need for expensive serverization of desktop data and functionality.

Have a look at the two demos on www.swivelscript.com to see what is possible.

Kind Regards,

Edwin van der Sanden.