function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
eprebyseprebys 

Limits of Professional edition

Hi,

I'm a new SF customer. My company has been an SF user for a long time, but we just began using SupportForce, with the introduction of email-to-case and limited professional access to the API. We spent several months speccing out exactly how we want SF to work for support and then worked with Rohit from SF professional services for a week of customization. This got us pretty far, and Rohit was extremely competent and helpful, but we still have some open issues that I am trying to resolve internally. I'd like to get the communities sense on whether the issues can be resolved and whether I'm headed in the right direction with thoughts on resolutions. Again, it's important to note that we are only a Professional customer. (We would upgrade support to Enterprise, but our sales organization has no need for it so the pricing is way out of reach.)

Questions:

• I know that some API access is enabled in professional. I installed the excel integration and it worked well for me. And we wrote the following SControl, which runs successfully. What are the limits? Is there any professional-specific documentation on the API and SControls?

<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript">
          var redirectString =
                  "/cases/caseowneredit.jsp?retURL=%2F{!Case_ID}&save=1&ids={!Case_ID}&caseowner='{!User_FullName}'";
          function redirect() {
              <!-- document.write(redirectString);-->
              parent.frames.location.replace(redirectString);
          }
          redirect();
      </SCRIPT>

• General documentation. I have found it *very* difficult to do things that seem simple because of a lack of documentation. Is there more documentation out there that I just don't know about? All I have been using is the documentaiton that is linked to off of the "?help" link on the admin setup screens.

• Problem: A case creation mechanism that enforces contract verification, but still allows a "special" case to be created of type field_trial. Solution: Our current solution is to have a custom object (called 'DeviceInfo') with account as the master object for storing contracts. The custom object would include standard contract fields including expiration date, along with our hardware serial numbers and config info for each device. Then we will create a new page as the initial step in case creation. This page would be an SControl which would allow account lookups and show matching accounts in a table with info indicating whether the account has an associated contract which is valid.

• Problem: A mechanism for maintaining device configuration on the account. Also a mechanism for selecting an appropriate config or creating a new config during case creation/edit. Solution: Utilize the solution from the previous problem. The new page for account contract verification would enable copying the config info from the DeviceInfo into the new case object. If necessary, the config select could happen in a separate SControl, triggered by a link on the case and thus happening after case creation.

• Problem: Currently we use reports instead of queues. Looking at a report for all the cases I own, it does not appear that there is a way to determine if email-to-case has updated the case. There is no flag on the case to indicate that it has received an update. There is a task which is created by email-to-case. But I cannot figure a way to show as a column in the report whether there exist any open activities on the case. This seems like it should be simple, but right now i have no solution.

• Problem: No way to view the history of *all* interactions on a case in chronological order. The Email object shows only emails. There is no good way to make phone conversations appear. The comments object doesn't contain emails. The activity history doesn't contain emails which are sent from the system through the email object. Solution: We have two solutions. The first is to remove the Email object from the case and only use Activity History. This is problematic for several reasons: first, the Activity History task does not contain the body of the email, you have to click a small link on the Task page; second, we don't really want to use tasks at all and we don't want to have to close the email task, it is wasted clicks in our workflow; third, the link on the Activity History object to send an email does not quote the email that we are replying to and it does not append the cc list. The second solution is even more of a hack. We could simply record phone conversations by sending an email from the Email object. This is dumb because the to field of the email prepopulates with the customer and we will end up accidentally sending some of these to the customer which could be bad.

Again, at this point I am only interested in general thoughts. I will probably have specific questions about several of these things as I get further into implementation. It's just that I don't want to use up all my good answer karma on my first email.

Message Edited by eprebys on 09-06-2005 11:48 AM

GrzldvtGrzldvt

I am relatively new at SalesForce myself, but came from a very strong Clarify background. 

I am also looking for some of the same things, contract verification, documentation a bit difficult to follow.  Some of the examples of "Formulas" are very difficult to decipher.

I am a bit baffled as to why the case comments are not a rolling history of the bodies of Email, tasks, events, etc.  It is a pain to have to go click on 42 different links to see what has happened, or copy and paste every piece of test into "Case Comments".  It would be great to see Case history rolled up into a single entity.

Your post has generated a ton of views, but no responses.  I have found that usually means many of us have the same issues, but no one has found a way to solve it.

eprebyseprebys
    A lot of those views were probably me during the first week I posted it, frequently checking to see if I had an update.

I posted the questions to SalesForce support and got some good info from Jay Hurst:

"
    As far as the API and the Professional Edition is concerned, the API is only open for specific programs. These include the client programs that are produced by salesforce.com (Office Edition, Outlook Edition, Offline Edition, Offline PDA Edition, Intellisync, and Wireless Edition), the Email-to-Case Agent, the Sforce Excel Connector, and any partner product that indicates that it can function with the Professional Edition. You can find out about our partner products at http://www.salesforce.com/partners/.

All other API functions are restricted to Enterprise Edition and Developers Edition orgs that have the API enabled. S Controls by default do not use the API. The main purpose of them is to allow you to create web pages and JavaScript/VBScript html text text that can manipulate the website. The example you show is not making an API call but rather just doing a page redirect. You can do any function like that you wish. What you cannot do is to access you data through API calls. As long as you are not trying to formulate API calls and post them to our API servers, you will have no problems.

If you have other questions, please feel free to contact us. I did take a look at your case #562373 (which one of my colleagues will be resonding to in more detail) and unfortunately the actions that you are requesting would only be possible through the use of the API. These can be included as feature requests, but it may not be possible to accomplish what you are requesting at this time.
    "

This answers the questions I had that I was hoping to resolve with S-Controls, at least for me. We just can't afford to upgrade our entire sales org to enterprise for functionality that only the tech support group (10% the size of sales) will use.

I have the following case open:
    "
    We use the email2case agent. When a customer emails in to update a case, there is no indication in an engineer's personal queue which indicates that the case has been updated. It does not appear that there is a way to determine if email-to-case has updated the case. There is no flag on the case to indicate that it has received an update and no field is modified.

We actually use reports instead of queues. Looking at a report for all the cases I own, I should be able to determine which cases have been updated. Is this possible, or should I file an enhancement request?
    "

I'll update this thread when I get an answer.
    ChadMeyerChadMeyer
    Did you ever get a response about flaging messages that are updated via email to case?

We tried to address this by using the New Case Comment field that gets set when a Customer Portal user adds
    a comment, but we don't have access to it via the API.

Thanks,

Chad
    monsterdustinmonsterdustin

Running into same problem:

Have enterprise sales cloud license. Sending inbound emails to SF using email service to a custom object which contains order information in XML that is parsed and creates/updates contacts from an order DB we use outside of SF.

Hitting the 1,000/day email service limitation.

My Question(s):

1) Do I need to buy more enterprise edition license to increase by 1,000 X new license? ...or does a less expensive "license" per org propgate an increase in limits?

2) Since I've read that SF to SF there is no limit, if I have another enterprise user license thats idle, could I send the e-mail from 3rd party app using SF e-mail and send to other user account e-mail?, ...thus creating "SF to SF" contact and not have to buy tons of more license?

Thanks,

Dustin