function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
MogyDevMogyDev 

How do you change the owner of 300 cases

Hello,

I have a question for a task that I felt would be quite simple. We need to change the owner of about 300 cases. I thought I would be able to export the information using the excel connector, then change the owner, finally choose to update the select cells.

The problem with this is that it cannot update the fields in the database because the ID is not what is actually stored in the DB.

How do you change the owner of lots of cases?

Many thanks for any help

Gareth

ScotScot

Hi Gareth,

I suspect that what you're finding is ...
that the query of cases results in a column with the heading "Owner ID" and values that are the names of the owners.  If you change the name to a different name and attempt an update, you get back an error (in the comment for the cell will be: "Update Row Failed:
OwnerId: id value of incorrect type: Persons Name").

If so, you're stumbling over a recent improvement to the connector.
To make it easier to read the results returned from a quer, the connector is translating the actual value in the Owner ID (which is a 15 character code) into the owner's name. Unfortunately, it does not do the reverse translation for the updates.

To solve this problem, you'll want to enter the actual Owner ID values, rather than the names, into these fields.  You can find the ownerid values in several ways, including:
    1)  do a query in the Connector on the user table, including the ID and name
    2)  position to the user record in the salesforce UI (click on the owner name on a case), and note the last 15 characters in you browser URL.

The owner ID should be a 15 or 18 character value starting with "005". If you put these values into the Owner ID column, you'll be able to update them.

Scot

MogyDevMogyDev

your suspicion was spot on. I have now modified the field with the code as you suggested and it works a treat you have just saved me a huge amount of work.

Thanks for both an accurate answer and also such a fast response.

now on to my other SFDC tasks

Cheers

Ron HessRon Hess
I can add an option in the option dialog box to "not generate readable names for users", this will help in your case. i'll put it on my todo list.

clearly, one person's feature is another's bug.
gwillgwill

Hi Ron,

Would you be able to add the option to NOT generate the "real name" of the account (or contact) owner, so that we could generate the actual raw contact ID?  This is exactly what we need!

Thanks

Greg