function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
TMangoTMango 

Assign Case Owner at Case Creation

I also posted this on the New to Cloud Development Board ...

It would be great if we could assign an owner to a case at the creation of the case, rather than having to first save the case and then change the owner. Is there a setting or any way to do this in the standard case object?

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
flewellsflewells

I'm not aware of standard functionality that will allow this.

The only workaround I can think of would require creating a new custom case picklist field with your various case owner names (hopefully a short and fairly static list).  Then create new case assignment rules for every name on that list, making sure they are evaluated first.  By default, new cases would have nothing in this field, but if you want to manually assign to a different owner, you would select their name in this field, check the box assign using active assignment rules and save the case.

All Answers

flewellsflewells

This is possible if you (1) create case assignment rules and (2) be sure to check the box "Assign using active assignment rules" on the case before you save it.  When you save the case, it will evaluate it against your assignment rules and assign it to the appropriate user instead of always assigning it to the person who created it.

TMangoTMango

Thanks for your response ... but I guess I wasn't completely clear in my question.

We DO have assignment rules that are working, as well as workflow rules that will assign to queues.  The issue is that we don't always want the ticket to be auto-assigned ... we sometimes want the individual creating it to determine the owner at creation.  For example, if I am opening a case for a colleague that I need to specifically assign to that person ... currently, I have to save the case, then go back in and manually assign the owner.  I would like the ability to be able to force the assignment WHILE I am creating the case, if I need to do so.

flewellsflewells

I'm not aware of standard functionality that will allow this.

The only workaround I can think of would require creating a new custom case picklist field with your various case owner names (hopefully a short and fairly static list).  Then create new case assignment rules for every name on that list, making sure they are evaluated first.  By default, new cases would have nothing in this field, but if you want to manually assign to a different owner, you would select their name in this field, check the box assign using active assignment rules and save the case.

This was selected as the best answer
TMangoTMango

That's what I assumed ... unfortuanately, the maintenance of a list like that isn't worth the rework.  I appreciate your response ....