function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
roymroym 

Adding an external web page (including passwords) to a new object

Can anyone help me?  I would like to either:

1.  Add a link or button that opens an external website, automatically enters my username and password and any search criteria I need.

or

2.  Add that same functionality to a button.

I'd appreciate any help and please ....... i'm not a techy so keep it simple.

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
mike1983mike1983

Unfortunately I doubt you will be able to do this unless you have access to edit the external website.  If you do I would create a custom VF page that posts a form to the external website. That website should read the post variables and prepopulate the fields. 

The other option is the same thing, but with URL parameters its less secure but it would keep you from having to create a custom visual force page. 

I would just make sure that you put some code in place to lock down the acceptable post or get values to prevent XSS attacks. Either that or if you are running Apache on that external server make sure you have mod_security running with the latest updates.

But without access to that external site I dont think you will be able to do this. The only other option (and this is a big maybe) is post to a second webs-server running cURL and use that to populate the fields on the first web server, but if its a good website they should be blocking that.

All Answers

mike1983mike1983

Unfortunately I doubt you will be able to do this unless you have access to edit the external website.  If you do I would create a custom VF page that posts a form to the external website. That website should read the post variables and prepopulate the fields. 

The other option is the same thing, but with URL parameters its less secure but it would keep you from having to create a custom visual force page. 

I would just make sure that you put some code in place to lock down the acceptable post or get values to prevent XSS attacks. Either that or if you are running Apache on that external server make sure you have mod_security running with the latest updates.

But without access to that external site I dont think you will be able to do this. The only other option (and this is a big maybe) is post to a second webs-server running cURL and use that to populate the fields on the first web server, but if its a good website they should be blocking that.

This was selected as the best answer
roymroym

thanks.