function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
JMR4HOPEJMR4HOPE 

New Admin Needs Help

I've reached a point that the more I read it seems the less I know what to do next.  My introduction to SF was the tutorials and the 4-day Admin training.  I now have a plan for our processes, but I've come to realize that there are certain sequencings required in order for you customizations to work. 

I just need to clearly see a logical sequence of steps. I have my processes for donation pipeline flow from leads, to opportunities, to accounts.  I need to clearly see what the SF protocols so I can do it right the first time.  I’m a good learning and would appreciate assistance. 

Here's where I am:   I created an object Donation History (donation details) and Payment History (record of payment to a donation) object.  The Donation History appears as a Relate List on the Account page, and the Payment History data appears when you drill down on a donation.  Now, I want to build a custom field on the Account page that will display the total of all donations to-date for this partner.  I find out that there is a master detail relationship that should have been established earlier in the process to enable roll-up or cross over functions. 

Thanks, JMR4HOPE

crop1645-1crop1645-1

JMR4HOPE:

The Salesforce Rollup Summary Field (RSF) type will add up children records that meet a certain set of criteria.  RSF work only across a master-detail relationship

For example, if on your Donation History object you declared a RSF field that added up Payment History, that Donation History record instance would have the SUM of all Payment History children.  So, first of all, the Payment History needs to be a child of a master detail relationship to its parent - Donation History.

Tip: Search SFDC Help for 'Roll-Up Summary Fields'

However, there are some limitations:

Roll-up summary fields cannot calculate the values of other roll-up summary fields except for account to opportunity roll-up summary fields, which allow you to calculate the values of opportunity roll-up summary fields.

Thus, a RSF in Account couldn't be the roll up of a RSF in Donation History. See also this link.

I can think of a couple of workarounds

1. Use APEX triggers to calculate the parent values every time a child Payment History is inserted or updated.

2. Use a Formula field on Donation History that is a copy (shadow) of the value of the Donation History -- Payment History RSF. Then the Account can have a RSF of the Donation History RSF 'shadow'.

3. Use a Workflow on Donation History so every time it changes, the Workflow sets a field on the Donation History to the value of the RSF that sums Payment History; this new field is then the object of the Account RSF.  (Use #3 only if #2 doesn't work)

The last two workarounds I have not personally tried and there are subtle relationships between workflows, formulas, and RSFs but they are easy to define and try out. 

Message Edited by crop1645-1 on 11-16-2009 06:10 PM
Message Edited by crop1645-1 on 11-16-2009 06:12 PM
Message Edited by crop1645-1 on 11-16-2009 06:12 PM