function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
tstrongtstrong 

Restricting the users available for selection in approval process

I have an approval process that uses the "Let the submitter choose the approver manually." function to assign the approval step.  There is one big problem with this.  Our sales team is selecting themselves and approving their own discounts.  Not good.

Since we don't have a hierarchy built into roles or set up as Managers/Designated Approvers, we can't use the other options for assigning the approval step.  

Is there any way to restrict the users that are availble for selection in this process, so that we could auto reject any that are assigned to the opportunity owner, or assigned to someone that is not in a specific profile?

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
Cool_DevloperCool_Devloper

Well, we had some kinda tweaking earlier.

We created some custom user lookup field on the object so that we can get its value in the related user option in the approval process.

We were restricting the users to select only from a specific set of users in that lookup field using a VF page. This was based on some business rules!

Will some tweaking like this work in your scenario?

Cool_ZD

All Answers

I am afraid, it is not possible as of now!

Cool_D

tstrongtstrong
Any thoughts on other solutions to this?  Since this approval process is on Opportunity, my only choses for who to automatically assign it to would be a specific user or users, or a related user from the Opportunity.

Well, we had some kinda tweaking earlier.

We created some custom user lookup field on the object so that we can get its value in the related user option in the approval process.

We were restricting the users to select only from a specific set of users in that lookup field using a VF page. This was based on some business rules!

Will some tweaking like this work in your scenario?

Cool_ZD

This was selected as the best answer
tstrongtstrong

I think so.  That's a great idea.  I think I'll add a user field to the opportunity and when the approval is required, I can have them enter the approver in that field.  That way I can do a validation on that field so they won't be allowed to select themselves or anyone in an unapproved profile.

Thanks for your help!

Way to go!! :)

Cool_D