function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
KerryGroup DevKerryGroup Dev 

Checking user access to an object – Through Code

There are numerous ways to setup security in Sales Force. It seems that all the various security settings boil down to one place: Sharing. Specifically I mean the sharing button on any private object.

Our opportunities are private, so I see this sharing button. When I click it I get a list of those users or groups that can view or edit this opportunity. There is another button called: Expand List.

Using that list I can view every single user that can view the opportunity.

My question: How do I determine if a user can view an object? Say I have a Sales Force UserID and a Sales Force Opportunity ID.

Is there anyway I can plug that into something and get out a “Yes they can see this” or “No they cannot see this”

Or even better, the read/write status?

KerryGroup DevKerryGroup Dev

Here is my current thought... I don't like it but...  

(This is VB.NET)

Dim IsValid As Boolean = False

Dim ObjectID As String = "Obj ID"

Dim UserID As String = "UserID"

Dim Domain As String = "cs3.salesforce.com" 'needs to change for your org

Dim BaseEntityWhyListURL As String = "setup/own/entitywhylist.jsp?id={0}&uid={1}"

Dim EntityWhyListURL As String = String.Format(BaseEntityWhyListURL, ObjectID, UserID)

Dim FinalURL As String = String.Format("https://{0}/{1}", Domain, EntityWhyListURL)

Dim request As System.Net.HttpWebRequest = CType(System.Net.HttpWebRequest.Create(FinalURL), Net.HttpWebRequest)

request.CookieContainer = New System.Net.CookieContainer()request.CookieContainer.Add(

New System.Net.Cookie("sid", "my current session ID", "", Domain))

Dim response = request.GetResponse

Dim html As String = String.Empty

Using reader As New System.IO.StreamReader(response.GetResponseStream)

html = reader.ReadToEnd.ToLower

End Using

If html.Contains("listrow") Then

html = System.Text.RegularExpressions.Regex.Replace(html, "[" & vbCrLf & "]", "")

html = System.Text.RegularExpressions.Regex.Match(html, "listrow.+?end listelement", Text.RegularExpressions.RegexOptions.IgnoreCase).Value

If Not html.Contains("private") Then

IsValid = True

End If

End If

MsgBox(String.Format("User can see object: {0}", IsValid))

MyGodItsColdMyGodItsCold

I'd start investigating the possibility of using the OpportunityShare object. Look at the Apex manual, page 150. I'm not sure where you're going with this, but maybe a VF page inserted to a section on your layout would do.

Sorry if I'm missing it & way off base...

SuperfellSuperfell
you can use the query or retrieve calls to try and fetch the row through the api as that user, or do you want to check access of users other than the current user?