function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
striverstriver 

How can I use the object I created without setting it on a TAB?

Hello there! I am new in this forum and our company just started to use force.com and I am starting to create application needed for our company. But I have this problem and hope you can help me to solve this.

I created every application form or document that we are using in our company, one document in one object. Then I set the object I created in a custom TAB, and I successfully view it and able to record the data. I created all the document one by one and all is going well, until I reached the maximum allowed TAB count which is 25 for Enterprise Edition license. I created more than 25 object because we have lots of application form or document needed to put in online or convert it electronically. But if I cant set it on custom TAB, I cant able to use it or the intended user cant register the data for it.

My question is, is there a way where I can use all the object I created without putting it or setting it on the custome tab so that the user can view it and use it to register the necessary data?

Hope you can answer this question of mine. Thanks in advance.

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
Cool_DevloperCool_Devloper

No Worries ... you'll learn it fast ;)

Coming to your answers-

1. Database is same for the whole application of yours. Means, whatever custom object you create, it is created as a seperate table within the same database of your instance! So, in this case, when you create a single custom object, you are creating a single table in the database which is again same for your whole application!

2. You need to configure "RecordTypes" and assign these to different "PageLayouts" and "Profiles" of the users. Say for eg, you created 2 recordTypes/PageLayouts, then when you click on the "New" button, you will be given an option, which type of form you wanna create. After selection, you will be able to view the appropriate form!

I would suggest you to read these specific sections from the User Guide for the time being so that you are able understand the context/logic.

Cool_D

All Answers

Well, first of all I din't quite understand why you needed to create so many tabs. Maybe, you should see if there is a way to do this in a more effecient way!

As far as your question goes, yes, you can still use the objects without creating tabs for each one of them. How to use them completely depends on your data model and relationships existing between the obejcts.

Cool_D

striverstriver

Thanks for your reply. I created so many custom tab right now because I am new in this cloud computing and not yet knowledgeable about programming in VisualForce, apex and others. So Im building our system right now with this method. Create the custom object then create a custom tab and view it.

Can you give me more abstract example how can I use the object I created? By the way, each custom object I created is independent at all. No relationship to other custom object I created. Any insight you can give?

Buddy,

If you really want to make so many forms, then maybe you can use a single custom object and make different "RecordTypes" within that!!

What i mean is that, some fields will be common across forms right? So, you can create different pages putting different fields as per the type of form.

So, finally, you can make a selection that what type of form you want to enter and you would be re-directed to the appropriate page accordingly!

Mind you, there is absolutely "NO" coding,apex,visualforce or any other development involved here. You just need to configure all this!

For details, you can refer to the user guide. But do think about your design first. I am sure it will reduce a lot of your issues :)

Hope this helps you!! 

Cool_D

striverstriver

Thank you very much Cool_D for your reply. It gives me a lot of confidence that I can solve this problem of mine when I read your reply today. I get your idea but still there is something I would like to confirm?

1. If I will make a single custom object for all of my application form to be develop it means that there will be a single database that will be made for this right?

2. Creating a page layout to be used and putting the necessary field or form for that is easy for me to do, the problem is, how will I view it so that user can see that form or page layout that I made to put the necessary data. Can you give me some idea how to configure it? I'm still checking the user guide but found no detailed information about it.

Hope you can give me an information about the issue above again. Thank you very very much.

No Worries ... you'll learn it fast ;)

Coming to your answers-

1. Database is same for the whole application of yours. Means, whatever custom object you create, it is created as a seperate table within the same database of your instance! So, in this case, when you create a single custom object, you are creating a single table in the database which is again same for your whole application!

2. You need to configure "RecordTypes" and assign these to different "PageLayouts" and "Profiles" of the users. Say for eg, you created 2 recordTypes/PageLayouts, then when you click on the "New" button, you will be given an option, which type of form you wanna create. After selection, you will be able to view the appropriate form!

I would suggest you to read these specific sections from the User Guide for the time being so that you are able understand the context/logic.

Cool_D

This was selected as the best answer
striverstriver
Thank you very much. I will try to do your advise.
CTU007CTU007

A simple VF page will do it:

<apex:page > <!--Height is specified for the list. --> <br /> <apex:enhancedList type="custom_object1__c" height="600" rowsPerPage="25" ></apex:enhancedList> </apex:page>