function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
jimc507jimc507 

Newline characters in csv and DataLoader

Hello,

I am using data loader to populate a large number of person account records. One of the fields in the csv file contains a newline character to display the data on two lines. The string is in quotes and uploads fine. However, when the field (Current Plan) is displayed on the Person Account page, the newline does not get converted to a
, nor is the newline in the html source.

How can I get the data to wrap on two lines? The origin of the data is being exported from an Oracle database.

Example:

This is how it displays now:
Current Plan: Monthly Plan Dec 2008 - Jun 2009

I need the data to be displayed as:
Current Plan: Monthly Plan
Dec 2008 - Jun 2009

Thanks in advance,

Jim
EricVlachEricVlach
Ugly fix: replace the newline character in the csv with the html <br> tag

This is only useful if you view your data directly in SF or in a viewer that can read HTML. Others, such as Mail Merge, will display the <br> and not a newline.
mavalphamavalpha

I hate to resurrect an old thread, but I'm having the same issue and didn't feel it appropriate to create a new one to ask the exact same question.

I tried entering "<br>" into the long lines in my CSV file.

Now, using the SalesForce.com web site itself, and either the web-based Import Wizard or Apex to upload the CSV file in the first place, my entry actually contains "<br>" as a line of text instead of treating it as a carriage return.  Any thoughts?  Or is this a setting I need to change anywhere?  Using IE7, not that I think it matters.

Message Edited by mavalpha on 10-30-2009 04:50 PM