function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
dmondmon 

Workflow Rule on Case

I have a workflow rule that works fine when a Case is created via the browser with the "Send notification to contact" ticked.

When a self-service user opens a new Case in the portal, we rely on the "Case Auto-Response Rule" that is enabled to accomplish the same "send notification task to contact"(or should I say Email Message object).

I assume that the "Case Auto-Response Rule" fires off an Email Message object, versus some other Task or Activity (obviously a Email Message object workflow rule would not fire on tasks or activities).

Any idea why this rule doesn't fire when a self service case is created via the portal. The criteria all evaluate to true (ie. the relevant fields are either null or 'New'?

Workflow Rule

Object Email Message
Active Checked
Evaluation Criteria When a record is created, or when a record is edited and did not previously meet the rule criteria
Rule Criteria Case: Actual Response Time equals null

Field Update

Object Email Message
Field to Update Case: Actual Response Time
Field Data Type Date/Time
Formula Value now()

Case Auto Response Rule
Active Checked

Rule Entries

Case: Status equals New
Sent From: Developer Account (accounting+newportalcase@gmail.com)
Template: Support: Case Created (Web Self Serv)

A seperate issue i have is not being able to find any log entries for self serv cases, again here, log entries for browser based new cases shows everything.

i all have all users queued up and all log entries are coming in, anyone know how to view workflow-assignment-response logs for self serv cases?

werewolfwerewolf
Customer Portal or Self Service Portal?
dmondmon

Hey wolf,

Self-Service Portal for Cases.

p.s. i have 0 triggers on any object (to elimiate any variables).

werewolfwerewolf
And your autoresponse rule is getting triggered, and you see the email message showing up in the list?
dmondmon

I do not know the answer to that.

That is part of my problem, i cant find the log entries for Self-Serv Portal cases.

Browser based, yes i see the logs and the rules and they all work fine.

Not sure what "list" you are referring to, but i bet i cant find that either.

Thanks, Dale.

dmondmon

Sorry, yes the auto response rule is sending the email to the contact.

It is not firing the workflow.

werewolfwerewolf

I'm referring to the Emails related list on the case page.  Put that on your case page layout and look at it to see if the autoresponse is getting triggered -- you'll see an email in there if it is.

You don't get debug logs because SSP runs in its own user context, namely that of the SSP user.

werewolfwerewolf

And you do have that emails related list on there?

This will be a good one to contact Salesforce.com Support about.

dmondmon

Yes, page layout is applied and auto-response email is there, completed.

But the rule does NOT fire.

So, if i click "Send an email" (which would be the 2nd email in the related list once sent) it DOES fire the rule.

So, i believe, it is related to self-serve new portal cases.

Message Edited by dmon on 03-18-2009 02:36 PM
dmondmon

The behavior is such that i believe whatever object is created by the "Case Auto-Response Rule" is not an Email Message object.

Could it be a Task or Activity instead?

That probably sound ridiculous, but when you add a Trigger to Task, it catches the Case Auto-response Rule every time.

dmondmon

A workaround would be to turn off the auto response rule, add workflow looking at case origin and status to fire off the email and then workflow chain to update the field.

werewolfwerewolf
No, as of Spring '09 autoresponse makes an email message too.  That's probably worth filing with support, as it may be a bug.
dmondmon
Thanks for the support wolf, Case 02522106 was logged.