function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
jbroquistjbroquist 

Calculating Opportunity Amount Differently

I'm looking for a new way to calculate opportunity Amount field. My company doesn't just sell products. We also provide leases for those products and take payments on them. We calcualte out the lease through different fields and factors, then have workflows update the amount field with our leasing totals which works fine. The problem I'm running into is if we have an Opportunity where the client both purchases and leases different products. Our workflow doesn't update the amount field when products are associated with the opportunity.

I was looking for a way to override the amount field so our company could use the forecasting features of Salesforce. Is there any solutions to what I'm trying to do out there?

Any help would be great ... thanks!

Message Edited by jbroquist on 03-23-2009 09:24 AM
Message Edited by jbroquist on 03-23-2009 09:25 AM
Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
hwebster82hwebster82

Have you found a solution to this?

Our company wants to use forecasting as well and we currently have a one product per opportunity rule but we don't use the amount field.  We use custom formulas calculated on the detail page. I was able to update the product "total sales price" using a field update workflow with the formula field found on the detail page which in turns updates the amount, however because my field update only works when the product updates (and not the detail page updates), the amount field isn't updated on a consistent bases.  This only really works when a rep is closing the opportunity and knows all the final values.

All Answers

hwebster82hwebster82

Have you found a solution to this?

Our company wants to use forecasting as well and we currently have a one product per opportunity rule but we don't use the amount field.  We use custom formulas calculated on the detail page. I was able to update the product "total sales price" using a field update workflow with the formula field found on the detail page which in turns updates the amount, however because my field update only works when the product updates (and not the detail page updates), the amount field isn't updated on a consistent bases.  This only really works when a rep is closing the opportunity and knows all the final values.

This was selected as the best answer
Jamie MontenegroJamie Montenegro
Has anyone found a way around this?  I'm having the same issue.