function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
RowanPRowanP 

Macromedia Flash and SalesForce?

Hi there,

Has anyone connected SaleForce and Flash Remoting or comsummed the SaleForce webservice inside Flash MX?

I am creating a Flash application that needs to communicate with SaleForce but I am a little lost as to how to go about this. Anyone pointers would be great.
thorntonthornton

We are looking at doing this through Flex. I would recommend that.

There are unlimited ways to pass back data but based on the higher availability of devices and the data traffic model I would suggest a MVC model.

Brian A. Thornton

SalesForce Developer/Architect

Denver / Indianapolis/ Fort Wayne / Chicago

since 2005

RowanPRowanP
Flex is too expensive!
thorntonthornton
True but well worth it. gttlearn.com
kevindotcarkevindotcar
Hi Rowan,
>Has anyone connected SaleForce and Flash Remoting
>or comsummed the SaleForce webservice inside Flash MX?

>I am creating a Flash application that needs to communicate
>with SaleForce but I am a little lost as to how to go about
>this. Anyone pointers would be great.

I too am exploring this, but Flash (I have v. 8) only seems
to be able to define HTTP web services- I would be interested
if you know how to define a TLS/SSL WSDL in Flash.

kevin
thorntonthornton
becase of the url redirect this is not possible in flash. advanced remoting is available through flex.
RowanPRowanP
Yes, it looks like a limitation with Flash.

I also run a ColdFusion MX server (6.1 and 7), so I am hoping that I could access the web services from that, and then pass the results back to Flash via my CFC.... Hopefully ColdFusion can access a .jsp webservice.
PederPeder

I built a test application that used the Flash SOAP api to log into Salesforce and the populate a table with leads.  It worked perfectly for two weeks, and then one day it suddenly stopped working.    I kept getting a message that it could not establish an endpoint with the server.    I'm pretty sure it's a security issue since any server that processes a SOAP request from a Flash client must have a XML config file to allow that client to do so.

It's a bit frustrating, because the SOAP support in Flash is excellent, and it's a quick and easy way build soap clients.

Peder

RowanPRowanP
Would you be willing to share your example application?  If you are, could you send the FLA to rowanp@priorsonline.com

Thanks
PederPeder
Advanced remoting is not only available through Flex which is expensive, but also through several open source projects in PHP, .NET and Java.  OpenAMF is one example.

PederPeder
Have you tried some of the Open Source remoting frameworks? 
thorntonthornton

I wanted to add to this topic that I STRONGLY suggest people do not connect to SalesForce via remoting objects in Flash. It is entirely browser and device type dependent. Look at a different model..

Brian A. Thornton

SalesForce Developer/Architect

Denver / Indianapolis/ Fort Wayne / Chicago

since 2005

(260) 267-6520