function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
kchurchkchurch 

How to improve performance?

Hi,

We have a web-based application, built in Java that allows clients to submit information to us online. The application essentially carries out inserts and updates on a single custom object which stores customer details within salesforce. However, we are experiencing lots of problems regarding the performance of the application, particularly with the sforce API calls.

We've implemented compression but that doesn't appear to improve things. We only need to query a single object at any given time so bulk calls won't improve things. Also, the fields associated with the custom object are mostly numeric fields so very few large text fields exist.

The only bottleneck we can see is that the application executes a number of queries, i.e. select and insert/update queries while the users is filling out their details online.

Is there any way to improve the performance of the query process? Or have you any ideas on what else we should examine to improve the performance and speed of the application?

Regards,
Karen
thorntonthornton
Hi Karen,
If you do not require or allow for the data to e edited by several sources, I would recommend bundling the data calls as one request.. Once the user select a reqcord to one query for all the data. Then present it and and submit the query on only the data changed.

kchurch wrote:
Hi,

We have a web-based application, built in Java that allows clients to submit information to us online. The application essentially carries out inserts and updates on a single custom object which stores customer details within salesforce. However, we are experiencing lots of problems regarding the performance of the application, particularly with the sforce API calls.

We've implemented compression but that doesn't appear to improve things. We only need to query a single object at any given time so bulk calls won't improve things. Also, the fields associated with the custom object are mostly numeric fields so very few large text fields exist.

The only bottleneck we can see is that the application executes a number of queries, i.e. select and insert/update queries while the users is filling out their details online.

Is there any way to improve the performance of the query process? Or have you any ideas on what else we should examine to improve the performance and speed of the application?

Regards,
Karen

kchurchkchurch
Thanks for the reply. I'll give that a try and hopefully things will improve.