function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
American DataAmerican Data 

Understanding Converted Leads

It appears that when a lead is converted to another type of object (Account, Contact, Opportunity, etc) the lead record still exists, however, can't be updated.

I have a list of email addresses I want to process. Each email address represents a recipient that we cannot send emails to due to the CAN-SPAM Act.

My original plan was to lookup any Leads or Contacts that have matching email addresses, and update their email opt out flag to true. However, I'm finding that when many of the leads are returned, the update doesn't succeed presumably because they are converted leads!

If it is the case that converted leads can be querried but not updated, will I always have duplicate lead records hanging arround for the corresponding object they was converted to? If so I'll need to filter these out, as I only am concerned about active leads.

Thanks for any assistance in advance.

Regards,

Josh
Sorry to be a bother, but can anyone provide insight about this matter?

I'm stuck and can't move forward until I can find clarification.

Any guidance or insight is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Josh
SuperfellSuperfell
Guess i'm not sure what the question is, you seemed to have worked it all out, you need to filter out converted leads, add "and IsConverted = false" to your queries.
Simon,

Thanks for confirming this. Is there any more detailed documentation about what happens to a lead when it is converted? I can't seem to find anything about this in the API docs.

Thanks.
DevAngelDevAngel
Since the api does not specifically deal with application logic, you won't find much more than the nuts and bolts of executing the call from the API in the API docs. I would recommend, instead, checking the help in the application.