function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
RichardRichard 

"No such column 'cf_00N20000000h8At' on entity 'opportunity'." Post Winter '06 Release

Hi Gang,

Another one of our Salesforce integrated applications (in existence for several years) has been returning the above error since last weekend (Winter '06 Release)

We are talking about the 2.0 version of the API using Java & SOAP.

Basically, the code makes a "describe" call to return all the metadata about the opportunity entity and then uses some of the returned names in a "query" call.

It is as though we are no longer about to query custom fields using the names from the describe call. (Querying using NON custom fields only seems to still work, but that isn't useful to me)

Does anyone know what is going on here? Is this my problem or a problem with Salesforce?

I'd appreciate any help you can give.

Thanks,

Tony

SuperfellSuperfell
I'm surprised how many people use the old soap 2.0 stuff, it really is a dog, but anyway this is known bug that crept in with Winter '06, the fix should be going out soon.
RichardRichard

Thanks Simon,

By "soon" do you mean today; this week; or later???

The 2.0 spec is dated July 2003, so only about 2 and a half years old.

Thanks,

Tony

SuperfellSuperfell
This fix for this is live.
DevAngelDevAngel
We are now on version 7.0 of the api. 2.5 years is an eternity when we do three releases a year.
RichardRichard

DevAngel wrote: We are now on version 7.0 of the api. 2.5 years is an eternity when we do three releases a year.

The v7.0 Developer's Guide dated 7 Jan 2005 says:

Code:

In order to mature and improve the quality and performance of the AppExchange Web service, 
API functions that are no longer practical or useful may be scheduled for removal.
Functions will generally be supported for a minimum of three years (usually longer)
from the date of first release.
Advanced notice of API removal will be given at least one year before the API is
actually removed. Notification will be given to organizations using these APIs again
roughly six months before removal and again roughly three months before removal.
Notification will be sent via email to all administrators, posted on the Sforce
message boards, and published in the Sforce newsletter.

I haven't been able to find any mention of what is supported and what is not. Can you please point me towards that info??

We are in the situation of having code that was written late in 2003 that no longer works as of Jan 2006. (Kudos to Salesforce for quickly rectifying some of the issues that Winter 06 brought to us)

I fully understand the complexity involved with supporting a myriad of versions of an API and will be working to ensure that we upgrade very soon but I will still need to be aware of when that code has to be revisited/upgraded due to lack of support.

Thanks,

Tony

SuperfellSuperfell
Soap 2.0 is still supported, as evidenced by our work to fix the regressions that unfortuanlty crept in with the winter 06 release.

My own suprise that people use it, is based on the fact that the soap 2.0 api is largely a soap wrapper around the xml/rpc api, the WSDL is very late bound, all the code i've seen using this api is largely left to munge around with a DOM tree to extract the info. The 2.5 soap api's and later are vastely easier to use, but i totally understand how something got written with 2.0, and there's been no need to change it. We're very aware that no-one wants to re-write their inteegrations 3-4 times a year as we do releases which is why we put so much time and engery into maintaining the older apis.
RichardRichard

Simon,

Thanks for being so responsive around these issues.

My support cases have gone unanswered for nearly a week.  You and your colleagues attentiveness via the Developer's Community is really appreciated.

Thanks,

Tony