function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
sales4cesales4ce 

Is this Possible on accounts

Hi,

i am wondering if this is possible/looking for a feasible/best way to implement this.

On accounts, i want to restrict users to create new accounts without looking if there is already an account in system.

I am thinking is , Override the New button on account page with a visual force page.

The visual force should do the following:

1) Ask the user to enter the account name he wants to create, click search and see if there are any accounts in system.9this poses another problem)

2) we have to bypass private sharing model to give the account creator that access to see all available accounts in system( Read-Only format)

3) next step would be, if he thinks there is already an account, he can cancel the process, else if the search did not yield any results, he should then proceed to create the account.

i am not quite sure if we can take this approach.Any alternative approaches?

Can any body drop in your ideas on how best we can acheive this use-case?

Thanks in advance.

-

sales4ce.

yudhvirmoryudhvirmor

simpler approach may be to create some Unique ID field and ask users to populate that field.Majority of organisations create Account using data from ERP system. Each account may have some unique reference ID from that system. Other thing you can use is 3rd party applications like Dedup and restrict users from creating duplicate accounts.

JayantJayant

Hi,

You may go for an application like DupeBlocker available in AppExchange.

It can restrict users from creating duplicate Leads, Contacts and Accounts based on rules that you create.

DupeBlocker 1.0 used to be free I guess, but the current version available in AppExchange, DupeBlocker 2.0 is a paid one.

It's available for Professional, Enterprise and Unlimited editions and the cost is based on the number of users ($5000/year maximum).

I have been using this application in my Org and it's probably the best in it's category.

Thanks.

JayantJayant

Record DeDup is another application that is free and available in AppExchange and is from Force.com Labs itself.

Never used this one though. 

sales4cesales4ce

Thanks Guys for your replies.

My organization would definitely not go around to spend and get apps.

Record dedup(It is free) which is from force.com labs would suffice, but, when i was test driving it, it just sits there and does nothing.

May be an idea to develop as per our business customization would be the approach. If so, like i mentioned in my previous post, is the approach i am considering makes any sense?

Your help on this is highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Sales4ce

_Prasu__Prasu_

Check out this link if you are interested in doing it with Unique field method.

Unique Field combination in Salesforce

Thanks,