function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
elkiehoundelkiehound 

Contact Information on Opportunity Layout

Is there anyway to get contact information to display on the Opportunity layout ?

I create a formula for account information to appear, however cannot figure out how to get contact information to appear on the page.

Thanks

werewolfwerewolf
An Opportunity is not associated with any single contact unless you add a Contact custom field.  Unless you add such a custom field, you will not be able to display any such information on Opportunity.  If you do add such a custom field, however, then you can display this information using formula fields.
elkiehoundelkiehound

I added a contact custom field on the contacts object (Specialty), which is a formula (straight copy) of the Contact Specialty field.

Created as Text(Field_Name)

Then, I go into opportunities to create a new field to read the custom field from contacts, however the field is not shown in the available fields menu, Only the opportunity fields are there.

Thanks

werewolfwerewolf
That's because the Opportunity is still not associated with any Contact.  You have to create the custom field on the Opportunity object so that it points to one and only one Contact.  Only then can you have that information shown on Opportunity (and only when that custom field is actually filled, i.e. non-null).
elkiehoundelkiehound

Where I am stuck is .... "Create the custom field on the Opportunity object...."

How to do that when I cannot see any contact fields in the builder ?

werewolfwerewolf
You have to _create_ the custom field first, a lookup field to Contact.  Once you do that you can add more custom fields, namely formula fields, that display data from that related Contact.  You will never see Contact fields in the Opportunity layout builder -- you will only see fields you actually create on the Opportunity object itself.
Marco_kMarco_k

Have you thought about using Contact Roles?

you can then link multiple contacts to an opportunity.

Have you thought about using the console?

you can display the related Account and all related contacts from this related Account