function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
adsfasdfasdfasdadsfasdfasdfasd 

How to handle case assignment for customer portals?

I have a customer with a customer portal and case assignment rules. The goal is for any customer submitting a case to have that case assigned to the proper support team. If the customer edits the case on the portal, however, the case is re-assigned to according to those rules. I don't want this to happen, obviously - the case may be been subsequently re-assigned, which means extra work all around.

I found this on the SF help (https://na3.salesforce.com/help/doc/user_ed.jsp?section=help&target=customer_portal_notes_on_pages.htm&loc=help&hash=topic-title):

For case assignment rules to work on the Customer Portal, select the Show Case Assignment checkbox and Select Case Assignment checkbox by default checkboxes on case page layouts assigned to portal profiles. Portal users cannot view these checkboxes on the Customer Portal. Note that assignment rules trigger when a case is created and when it is edited. To prevent cases from being automatically reassigned when edited by portal users, add a rule entry using the criteria Current User: User Type contains Customer Portal and select the Do Not Reassign User checkbox. For more information, see Setting Up Assignment Rules.

Doesn't work. The case isn't assigned at all, now.

How do we set up case assignment rules so that cases created through the portal are assigned correctly, and cases edited through the portal are not re-assigned?

Thanks,

John 

brianwenzlbrianwenzl

It's been a few months, so I don't know if you're still struggling with this but I just got it sorted out for my org:

You need to set up your assignment rules, as normal, first.  

Then add the checkbox and default it to checked as described in the snippet you shared.

Last, and critically:

add one more rule (Sort Order 1) that looks something like this (I used "formula evaluates to true" but maybe you're smarter than me):

AND(
NOT( ISNEW() ),

$User.ProfileId ="[Your Customer Portal Profile ID]"       )

Then, for this rule (and this rule only), check the Do Not Reassign Owner box.   

This worked when I tested it.  Maybe you have multiple customer portal profiles - if so you'll need to be a little more crafty. 

I'd love to hear if someone has a more elegant solution to this one.

Brian 

Message Edited by brianwenzl on 02-25-2010 07:05 PM